Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just after buying my SLK I bought and fitted the Map Pilot. Plugged it in and everything went swimmingly.
This morning I drove to the other side of town (with the map showing), did my business and when I returned, the Audio 20 unit did not recognise my bluetooth phone and had lost all my saved radio stations. Sorted that but can't get it to recognise the existence of the Map Pilot (in fact it doesn't even show 'NAVI' on the top menu). The steering wheel menu shows 'no navigation device'.
I have checked the fuse for the navigation device (fuse 16 in the European models) - OK - checked the content and software/firmware online - OK - so I'm now at a loss where to go next. :frown:
But I do know, if there is an answer to be found, one of you guys will have it. :smile:
Help!

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I'm assuming you're pulled the Becker box out and put it back in again?

And that you've stuck a paperclip in the reset hole and restarted it?

If not, give those a try.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you're pulled the Becker box out and put it back in again?

And that you've stuck a paperclip in the reset hole and restarted it?

If not, give those a try.
Yep, done both. Also checked the other radio fuses - AOK. And did a reset of the Audio 20 system. All with no luck.:frown:

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope - did that, still no joy.
I think it has to be a blown fuse, so tomorrow I'll check every possibility. Could be that power is drawn from e.g. the storage box light.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Nope - did that, still no joy.
I think it has to be a blown fuse, so tomorrow I'll check every possibility. Could be that power is drawn from e.g. the storage box light.
You don't have much faith in Mercedes do you?

It's a CANBus system so the power is always on. It's much more likely that a controller has failed within either the Audio 20 unit or the module that stitches all the ICE and Navigation together.

I really do think it's going to have to go back to Mercedes.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duh! :confused:
Didn't think it through!
The giveaway is of course the absence of the Navi option on the display which was there even before I fitted the Map Pilot.
Guess I'll have to save my pennies and bite the bullet!
Thanks for putting me right!

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems ....

Shout if you need another Map Pilot - I have a friend with one left over from his last car .... he bought it as an extra, and kept it when the car went back ...

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Duh! :confused:
Didn't think it through!
The giveaway is of course the absence of the Navi option on the display which was there even before I fitted the Map Pilot.
Guess I'll have to save my pennies and bite the bullet!
Thanks for putting me right!
There are several Audio 20's on eBay at the moment and a COMAND retrofit at £2000 might not look such bad value depending what Mercedes quote you.

And with the car only just being out of warranty I'd push for a goodwill gesture from Mercedes. The dealer will ask on your behalf if you ask them.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Sadly not !!!

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Final instalment

So off to the dealer (who incidentally is very good). Diagnostics showed that the MOST had a problem that could be either the Audio 20 software needing a reboot or a faulty head unit.
Got them to do a hard reset on the unit - and - nothing. :crying:
Dealer contacted MB to ask if they were prepared to help, bearing in mind the low mileage and the fact it is not long out of warranty. The reply - :td:.
So I'm stuck with the cost of a replacement - about £850 including labour (upgrading to comand would be about £2000). So that's where I'm at.
I have of course written to MB expressing my delight at their customer service, but am not holding out any hope there. If I'm wrong, I will of course post, but don't hold your breath!

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I have of course written to MB expressing my delight at their customer service, but am not holding out any hope there. If I'm wrong, I will of course post, but don't hold your breath!
Are you the original owner? If so then you have 6 years warranty, which the Mercedes warranty is in addition to, not instead of. They could ask you to prove the fault was present at the time of purchase, but given that it's not something that you would expect to experience wear and tear I would think you've got a decent chance of winning that argument.

If you're not the original purchaser then you're a bit stuffed unfortunately.

Try these guys. I believe they offer an exchange service.

Mercedes Retrofit | Mercedes Comand Installation | Car Navigation | In-car Entertainment | UK

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The final word!

What a wonderful company MB is - no, I mean, really! :smile:
Just heard from the dealer today - MB have said if I pay the labour, they will pay for the unit! So for an hour of labour I'll get a new head for the Audio 20.
Think I should ask if they would supply a comand module instead? :D
So all's well and all that!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
That's because I called them and told em to take care of you! You're welcome!

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Just heard from the dealer today - MB have said if I pay the labour, they will pay for the unit! So for an hour of labour I'll get a new head for the Audio 20.
There you are. It makes a change when they do actually do the right thing. I'm very pleased for you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
MB take a bit of bashing sometimes (I've done my fair share) but credit where it's due, both to you for you attitude and MB for doing the right thing... I'd say that's an excellent result :smile:

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Must confess, MB really surprised me - happily!
As a final chapter, I got a call from the European HQ today pointing out that the car had not had an MB service since the 4K one by the previous owner (he had missed one and the reseller had done it in a non-franchise) so they weren't responsible for any faults, however as a goodwill gesture they were prepared to meet 80% of the labour costs (MBUK are still meeting the unit cost) leaving me to pay the other 20%! Am I prepared to accept this?
After a long deliberation (of about 1 nanosecond) I reluctantly accepted! >:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.