Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kidding. Mostly. :smile:

(Warning, my introduction post turned into a romance novella.)

I'm Mary. My 2004 SLK320 and I are located in Arlington, TX (between Dallas and Fort Worth).

Until November '16, I had, for seven years, been driving a PT Cruiser. It worked just fine as a first car, and it got me through high school, college, and after, but it was never a car that I felt particularly good in. When I got it at age 17, it was nicknamed the PT Loser by my friends within hours of my owning it. In college, I remember how I yelled at the TV while watching Breaking Bad when Walter White got his son a PT Cruiser and you could see how much his son hated it. As recently as last October, one of the last times I drove it somewhere, a guy passed me as I was walking out of a gas station, kind of laughed and said "Nice car" in a sarcastic tone.

A few nights later I came home to find a 2001 SLK320 parked in my driveway, and I remember thinking "now, that's a sexy car" as I walked past it, which is funny considering how many times I told my husband that cars weren't sexy. I learned that my husband's son had bought the car, with the intent to sell it, and within a matter of weeks it was mine.
Though it had its issues (hydraulic leak, radio wouldn't power on, ESP sensor light would go on and off), I adored it. As lame as it sounds, I decided that I wanted a convertible when, as a child, my Barbie had one, and I never stopped wanting one. Figuring I'd never have the opportunity or the money for one, I never though about it again. So to finally have one, I was ecstatic. More so, I'll never forget the first time I received a real compliment on my car. I was confused for a minute, forgetting that I wasn't driving the Cruiser anymore, but once I remembered, I was giddy.

Unfortunately, after only three weeks, I'm sad and embarrassed to say that I totaled it. Inexperienced in driving a rear wheel drive car, one night while driving on the freeway, I took an exit ramp to get onto a different highway, and lost control. The cement guardrail finally stopped the spin, taking off the front of her. Luckily I was the only car involved in the accident, and I walked away with only a burn on my hand/arm from the airbag deployment.
I didn't know how bad the damage was until the next day when my husband and I went to the lot. I sobbed when I saw. I think I probably cried over it for a few days. My husband assured me that I'd find another car, even a convertible that I would love, but I knew that another Mercedes would be out of our price range. It's not that I was hung up on the brand, because I knew nothing about the brand, it was the car. My husband and I agreed that we'd keep an eye out for one, because surely we'd find one in our price range eventually. We looked, and looked, but I never found one and needing a car badly, I gave in and started to look at other cars.

Then one afternoon on my day off, I woke up to my husband calling to tell me that he'd put a down payment down on a 2004 SLK320, same color, working roof, less miles than the 2001.
He'd kept looking for one within our budget. He didn't find one, but he knew I loved the car.
We picked her up the next day.

Needless to say, I read up on the difference between driving a rear wheel drive car versus a front wheel drive car. I have also tried to get as many tips on driving in the rain/ice as I could. In my new one, I've safely driven in both rain and ice, though, I attempt to stay in if I can.

Despite my old reputation for having trash all over my Cruiser, the SLK is almost obsessively cleaned. I park far away to avoid shopping carts. Shell used to be the one station I avoided because of the price, but now it's pretty much the only one I go to. I'm often made fun of for trying to drive with the top down, no matter the weather. I'm constantly telling my husband how much I love my car and how much cuter my car is than his (he drives a C43 AMG).

I'm still giddy. :grin:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
Welcome from Canada Mary :grin:

A real treat to have you here and to read your novella :smile:

As a thank you, I present to you this website

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

You don't have to buy your ethanol-free gas only at Shell. Look for your city and see what's available.

Happy Motoring :tu:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,487 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,450 Posts
Hi Mary, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. :smile:

Great intro! :tu:

·
Registered 1999 slk230-sold
15,071 Posts
Welcome from Phoenix. Some great reading btw. IMHO the R170 was the best looking SLK ever built. Of Course my fellow R171 and 172 Owners probably will not agree with me. :grin::grin:

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,022 Posts
Hi and welcome ... great story!!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi Mary, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting such a great intro! :)

Don’t forget to lube those seals:
Mods you should think about doing to your SLK:
Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
  • Finally, the Picture of the Day section is guaranteed to have something to make you smile each weekday morning!
Thank you
Dave

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,959 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

There you are!
My 1st SLK was a 320! :D

And a little secret for you...the messages are not automated :D

I have been here over 10 years and have personally welcomed and nagged over 44000 new members since 2006 to update and post an intro.

As mentioned..

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-request-datacard-free-us.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
I have been here over 10 years and have personally welcomed and nagged over 44000 new members since 2006 to update and post an intro.

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator
Nag? Jeff nag?? Nah.

I prefer to think of you more as the big brother who puts his arm around the shoulders of the new guy and gently guides him/her down the correct path :wink:

And then if he still refuses to be guided, gives him a box on the ears :grin:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi welcome from the Hebrides Scotland I have a 320 too and love it mine is black with red n black insides, its just my weather is always crap lolol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts