Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

· *Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Placeholder for tomorrow so I don't have to type too much and can just add pic a tures as and when

Current owner has removed his "vanity" plate and has log book back in his name - well done DVLA 5 days start to finish

Insurance arranged and starts from midnight tonight (been caught out with databases not being aligned with insurance starting at midday)

250 miles tomorrow morning with my conscience (Geoff - who always gets roped in to stuff like this)

It'll be on fumes like it was on the test drive so Pez shot will be very early on - should do the 250 mile return trip on a tank if I stay of the loud pedal

DVLA to tax it after ownership change (see insurance cover comment)

I'll probably have to bolt on the new plates I asked the current owner to get made (he threw the originals away - idiot)

Funds transfered to current account (deposit went thro fine but this is a bit larger so expecting some "confirmation activities" with the bank

So essential items to take

Cordless drill, 4mm drill bit and 8 self tapers (to fit the plates)

Tyre pressure guage

Credit card

Sun glasses

Phone charger

mask (for those reading in 2025 - wiki COVID-19)

Insurance certificate

Code reader/Scanner

Smokes

Hat - cos the weather looks good.

Anything else I've missed?

· *Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
And at last it's taxed and I can use it - long story cut short

PO removed his vanity plate and got a reg doc back in his name

I paid for the car and then transferred on line the ownership

As a result of the ownership change it's now technically untaxed - this was expected. I go to tax it to drive home and get "computer says no"

WTF - it's classed as "disabled"

PO "Yeah I have to take my disabled mum to the shops sometimes so I don't pay VED"

"Oh Cock"

I need to tax it at the Post office to change the taxation class to PLG

To do that I need

1. The green new keepers slip (got that)
or
2. Registration Document (Not got that)

3. Insurance Certificate (Got that)
4. Copy of the MOT with right registration number - nope - PO didn't bother to print one when he reverted to original plate - so I need to wait for a Reg doc in my name to be able use the 11 digit ref number from that to print one off

So as a result of the ownership change it's now un-taxed but DVLA don't update the records live so for the remainder of the collection day it showed as taxed

So I drove it home and it's sat on the drive ever since

Of course I want to put "Mrs BC's Plate" on it but now the Reg doc is going back to DVLA by post!!!!

Oh well doesn't stop me driving it now

· *Registered
No SLK
623 Posts
And at last it's taxed and I can use it - long story cut short

PO removed his vanity plate and got a reg doc back in his name

I paid for the car and then transferred on line the ownership

As a result of the ownership change it's now technically untaxed - this was expected. I go to tax it to drive home and get "computer says no"

WTF - it's classed as "disabled"

PO "Yeah I have to take my disabled mum to the shops sometimes so I don't pay VED"

"Oh Cock"

I need to tax it at the Post office to change the taxation class to PLG

To do that I need

1. The green new keepers slip (got that)
or
2. Registration Document (Not got that)

3. Insurance Certificate (Got that)
4. Copy of the MOT with right registration number - nope - PO didn't bother to print one when he reverted to original plate - so I need to wait for a Reg doc in my name to be able use the 11 digit ref number from that to print one off

So as a result of the ownership change it's now un-taxed but DVLA don't update the records live so for the remainder of the collection day it showed as taxed

So I drove it home and it's sat on the drive ever since

Of course I want to put "Mrs BC's Plate" on it but now the Reg doc is going back to DVLA by post!!!!

Oh well doesn't stop me driving it now
I had exactly the same issue with the last W210 I had, total nightmare when you've stood in the post office queue for 20 minutes and then can't tax it :mad:

· *Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Right dealing with the remaining issues with the SLK200

One fail element - both headlights have dip beam set up for Europe - according to the knowledgeable people at here there is a "Lever" that can be moved to facilitate driving in Europe without beam deflectors

Just in case anyone finds this thread looking for a bot more detail - Passenger Side and Drivers Side shown below with the lever location highlighted by the red arrow

I set up a large sheet of MDF and propped it up against a workmate and then with the lights on dip beam I highlighted with a permanent marker the beam pattern

With my sausage fingers I can state that moving the levers is quite tricky but once moved I could see on my board that the beam pattern had rotated back to UK format.

Rinse and repeat for the other side

Next job was brake hoses - The tester had marked the nearside front brake hose down as an advisory

I'd purchased a set of Goodridge hoses so fronts I did while I had the wheel arch liners out for the headlight cover access

Rears

Whilst I was under it I had a look at the subframe - it was very obvious that a fair bit of cavity wax had been applied everywhere inside and outside the subframe

Next job book it in for an MOT

Next question is continue this thread with the SLK55 fun and games or start a new one just for that car??

· *Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,656 Posts
Just in case anyone finds this thread looking for a bot more detail - Passenger Side and Drivers Side shown below with the lever location highlighted by the red arrow
Incredibly useful, thank you. Do you just slide them up or slide them down? And which position is UK?

· *Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Incredibly useful, thank you. Do you just slide them up or slide them down? And which position is UK?
Down is LHD lighting configuration
Up is RHD lighting configuration

They just pivot up or down - hard stop on the bottom setting - small lip for them to sit on in the upper position

Whilst I know the PO had taken the car to Portugal a few times I think they had slipped from the correct position as there really isn't a lot of lip for them to latch into

· *Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Now back on it's original plate and "sold pending some changes" requested by the buyer.

They

1. Didn't like the dark wheels and blacked badges (A bit to "masculine" for her)

2. Want it delivered (no biggy in the grand scheme of things)

They've got virtually brand new matching tyres (Uniroyal Rainsport 5's) (These wheels were previously fitted to my R170 SLK230)

I could strip the tyres off and then get the wheels blasted and powder coated back to Silver but that would be £160 for the blasting and powder coating and £50 for the change over (strip off the tyres and then refit back on the newly powder coated wheels, new tyre valves and balance)

So I showed the buyer the old original wheels from the R170 SLK 230 that which have been in my loft since removed - no kerbing and in really good condition but they are staggered widths - they got the nod of approval but they tyres are knackered so are currently being fitted with a new set of tyres (Uniroyal Rainsports again as I did look at some cheaper alternatives but it'll end up being mixed and match brands and tread pattern front and rear and that makes my teeth itch and the cost difference was negligible)

· *Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Delivered it Saturday and journey of approx 4 feet

Explanation - My next door neighbor's daughter bought it which is sub optimal in terms of

1. it's making a funny noise can you look at it)

2. I've lost a spare parking space (She hasn't owner a car for a few years)

On the plus side money in the bank and I took her on a test drive and she said that's the fastest she's ever been in any car!!! (It's a 1.8 with 163 bhp and we only hit 110mph - that's bloody low bar in my book)

141 - 156 of 156 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.