Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Did you say you checked the water drains??
Yep - water drains are free and clear and no leaks from the pipes in the boot - it seems my leaks are coming from the rear screen seal where it meets the boot seal

·
*Registered
2005 SLK280
1,539 Posts
What about trying to insert a 6mm length of tube inside your existing seal,as someone mentioned in a recent thread!

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
What about trying to insert a 6mm length of tube inside your existing seal,as someone mentioned in a recent thread!
To expand the seal - not seen that thread - I'll have a hunt

To be honest whilst the seal doesn't look damaged and it's been gummi pfledged to within an inch of it's life the replacement would have to be "serious coin" for me to spend time and effort trying to fix it by alternative methods

If it is serious coin then I'll have to consider it - my old SLK never suffered from condensation in the boot or water leaks - this one after 24 hrs of rain had a half a cm in the bottom of the boot.......

·
*Registered
2005 SLK280
1,539 Posts
It's on the secound page in general discussion,not sure how to do the link..😞

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I took the car off the road for a few months (well four months to be exact) I needed to transfer the insurance to another car I was resurrecting from 6 years "off the road"

This one to be exact

Bit of a mission to get it back on the road but all done now

The car sold and collected was two benefits

I had a space on the drive

Stanley has one less car to sleep on :D

I could transfer the insurance back to the SLK and get it back on the road.

Downside it had run out of MOT due to the time taken to complete the E38

Oh well should be fine so off to a pre-booked MOT it went

Expectant father mode engaged

It was all going well till it wasn't

That's a rear sub-frame with a hole in it (closer than allowable) ................

It had a few other advisories too but the hole was the big ticket item

Oh and the headlights appear to be set up for European driving so I'll have to have a google for that

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Mmm cat claws on your paint work:oops::)
He's normally pretty good and has learnt that pads grip better than claws on bodywork - besides the paintwork is pretty crap on a good day

New subframe or weld it?
Decision to be made when it's removed - if it has more holes than swiss cheese I probably won't weld it but try to find a decent one

·
*Registered
2005 SLK280
1,539 Posts
Trouble is if you can find a good one ,the breakers want nearly as much as a new one costs!

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Trouble is if you can find a good one ,the breakers want nearly as much as a new one costs!
I'm in agreement there - if it's silly price for a second hand crusty one then it will either get a new one (future proofed) or if repairabe I'll weld it up and future proof it at the same time.

·
*Premium Member
2013 SLK350
2,196 Posts
Just stumbled on this thread. It is really great piece of writing by the OP. And love all the wise-cracking stuff, as well. I love me a DIY project like this bcos it gets the love, care and attention the car needs/deserves...

Subscribed.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Just stumbled on this thread. It is really great piece of writing by the OP. And love all the wise-cracking stuff, as well.
Thanks - I try to keep my threads "light and fun" like an SLK should be with the roof down ;)

OK they aren't that light but lets gloss over that one quickly :D

I love me a DIY project like this bcos it gets the love, care and attention the car needs/deserves...

Subscribed.
I like DIY - I also like people who document their car related activities - how else can I find out how stuff is done and learn stuff myself.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts