Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago my younger brother was in need of cheap transportation so I picked him up a 1986 Honda Elite Deluxe 150 Scooter to ride about. She's not pretty but has a new rebuilt engine and runs like a top.

Well, I had so much fun playing around with it until I could bring it to him that I just had to have a Scoot for myself. I haven't owned a motor driven bike for over 35 years. It was an early 1972 Harley Davidson Aermacchi's cause the wifey and I couldn't afford two cars at that time. I forgot how much I liked riding a bike and being stuck in the time bubble that I am, just bought myself a 1995 Honda Helix 250cn. Pristine condition, always garaged, 4200 original miles, plenty of power (will travel at 75mph even with my size body) and a real cruiser. She was the intro to the Maxie Scooter, still very much in demand worldwide and all sorts of stuff you can do to mod. this machine.

People either love them or hate them. Some find them nerdy and ugly, others love the retro look, I am of the latter.

I present to you, my Honda Helix! :D

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Hi All

Ok Smarttop , Xpipe, maybe some Dipping or a Wrap , Check for gearbox software up grades & ECU upgrades , DRL LED , Smoke the rear lights , Black the front lights & some tints on that front screen . Get back to me when your finished .

Cheers

Andy >:D >:D >:D

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,816 Posts
That is sooooooo cool...but the mom in me says BE CAREFUL!

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks all. I actually did quite a bit of research before I found this little gem. The Helix literally has a cult following and it would be so much fun to find a helix club to play around with. I know there is a huge club in the UK called something like "The Ugly Scooter club". The first two times Honda stopped making the Helix they brought her back due to public outcry and demand. The model was made beginning in 1985 and was finally retired for good in 2007. 22 years in production and she never changed one bit! When first introduced in 1985 she was the first scooter to have disc brakes (front only,rear Is a drum) which was considered quite something for its time!

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Hi all

Was this the scooter they used in the first Terminator movie Sarah Connor rides it.

Cheers

Andy

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, we've found you a rear wing.. .. ..

.. .. .. and THIS is the nearest you can get to off the shelf fender mods :D
I already have my eye on that wing Woolly. Not only is it cool looking, because the frame on the Helix is so low to the ground, so is the brake light. This modification adds a "high" brake light as well so it is a safety enhancement and done on many of these scoots throughout Japan. hhmmm....maybe I can get UK-C200 to make if flash for me? :D

Hi all

Was this the scooter they used in the first Terminator movie Sarah Connor rides it.

Cheers

Andy
Andy, what Sarah Connor rode was actually the Honda Elite Deluxe "CH150D or CH250D". Another great battle scooter of the same era and that's the scoot I just brought my brother. Both models are extremely reliable and known to get well over 100,000 miles on their original engines if well cared for. The problem with the Elite Deluxe is they stopped making them in 1986 I believe so OEM new parts are no longer available. But they were so popular in their day that there are plenty of used parts available on EBay. But the Elite250 like the Helix, used the ever popular and knocked off GY6 engine so lots of Chinese parts available. The Helix was made until 2010 (in Japan only), and never changed from 1986. Im told Honda will make parts for 18 years after they drop a model, so OEM parts for the Helix will be readily available at least until 2028.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can't get hold of John, try one of THESE.

You're going to have to start a "mod" thread for it!!
Thanks Woolly! That is perfect! No need to bother John at all, I'm ordering one right now! I'm not so sure that all my SLK kin would appreciate a mod thread on this board for the scooter :grin: I have found another forum called AdventureRider where that thread would be more appropriate. The problem is, whenever I go to other forums I naturally try to compare them to this forum, and frankly, none ever come close. Still Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum seems like a decent "home away from home" with a lot of good advice and decent people.

Oh, one other thing......I suddenly realized that getting something like this scooter is just one more toy that keeps me off the showroom floor and doing anything that might affect my SLK ownership! :D

Woolly, I know that you rider motorbikes as well.......I'm really jazzed about the new addition to my fleet!

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And so the Mods. Begin!

For all my petro. head friends here at SLKWorld, I will share my plans for the newest edition to my fleet! First modification to my scoot is the "Biker's Friend", a practical, useful, comfortable, American made and good looking piece of luggage that holds quite a bit of stuff when mounted anywhere (as in the rear rack) of a cycle but also acts as a back support with lumbar when mounted to the passenger seat! I also have installed a great motion sensor alarm found on EBay for a whole $8.00.

Mods. for the Honda are a totally different deal than the SLK. Everything in comparison just seems soooooo affordable and so much fun to install!

My friends think I'm crazy and ask exactly what makes it so much fun.....the only thing that I can equate it to is like "Riding a Horse"!

Here's a Pic. of what the Biker's Friend looks like on my scoot:

And......all these goodies just arrived yesterday, here's what's coming as soon as I get a chance to fit it all :D

Chrome Rear Rack

Chrome Grab Bars

Chrome Crankcase Cover

Chrome Windshield Trim, Side Visors and Fork Covers

Chrome Side Stand and Center Stand

Chrome Lower Panel Set (7 Pieces)

Clear Side Reflector Markers

Clear LED Front Turn Signals with Colored Bulbs

Clear LED Rear Rear Brake/Turn Signal with Colored Bulbs

Polished Aluminum Floor Panels

Polished Aluminum Passenger Foot Pegs

Polished Aluminum Brake Pedal

Here's a pic. of the look that I am after, but keeping the tall windshield, the OEM Seat (but may reupholster it to give it a black and white 2LOOK look) and the OEM Handle Bars, I'm also going to install White Wall Tires as well!

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve, sweet. It just goes to show that you are not a snob!
Thank you sir, I like to think of myself as one who marches to a different drummer! :D

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few mods installed........

So I took the slow week-end to fit some of the chrome that I have collected for the Helix. I say some because..........

1.) When all the lower Chrome panels had been fitted it was just too much chrome so I took some of them off leaving only the rear of the body claded with chrome
2.) I didn't have the tools necessary to replace the Chrome Kick Stand and Center Stand so that will follow.

Still to come is the Chrome Stands, clear front LED turn signals, clear rear LED tail light assembly, Painted wheels in Gloss black with polished lip/rim and white wall tires, Chrome passenger foot pegs and Chrome Pedal and I will be debadging all the stickers which are covering up some boo-boos and touching up the paint work throughout. I also scored a "Brand New In the Box" 1986 Hondaline Kenwood AM/FM Stereo that has been discontinued for almost 30 years! Very rare and very sought after, can't wait to have that puppy installed.

But for now, here are some pics showing the following items fitted:
Chrome Rear Rack, Chrome Passenger Grab Bars, Chrome Lower Engine Panels, Chrome Leg Visors, Chrome Crankcase cover, Chrome Muffler Heat Guard, Clear Side Marker Reflectors, Chrome Strip under Windshield, Chrome Nose Grill and Chrome Strips applied to the front wheel covers.

I'm having a ball and compared to the SLK these mods. are really cheap! And remember, "Sometimes it's now how fast you get there, but rather HOW you get there"! :D

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lookin good, but next you need some of THESE.

LOL....I agree! I have them already, just didn't get around to fitting them yet. I have the custom tail light assembly as well :D

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...she's coming along!

Believe me, I have NOT been ignoring the SLK. In fact, I took her out yesterday for a good run and spent about 2 hours cleaning off her "Winter's Dust"! The weather here has been spectacular this week-end so it's the perfect excuse to get out our "Petro Head" toys for all to see.

But in my "usual" mode, I have been anxious to get the old Helix fixed up just as I want her!

So, I decided to take a rest from the modifications today and took a nice long scooter ride. Not only was it fun, but it gave me the opportunity to take some update pictures while I was at it. Plus, I will be posting a few overall pictures just to recap what's happened. I'm liking the transformation. Classy but not over the top.

But new as of this post is:

1.) Installation Chrome Center and Side Stand
2.) Complete pictures of the Clear Turn Signals and Rear Brake Light Assembly showing images of both off and on.
3.) I had the wheels powder painted to mimic the look of thin white walls. They look nice but still not the real thing. I'm not going to give up on the white walls but this will do for now.
4.) New Viking Leather Tail Bag installed. I like this a lot. So much so that I might consider selling the Biker's Friend roll and install Utopia Back Rest.+

Enjoy the photo show!

Just to remind you, here are a couple of pictures of the scoot the day I bought her.

And here are some pictures of how she looked today. Profile pictures first.

Some close ups of the new additions. At the snoot of the scoot, Chrome Nose Grill, Chrome Windshield Trim, Chrome Leg Visors and Clear Turn Signals.

A couple shots of the powder painted wheels. Gloss black with White Lip Rims, it's Clean and Distinct...also notice the chrome strip that I added to the wheel cover and the clear reflectors to match the new turn indicators and rear brake lights! :)

The Chrome Side Stand and Center Stand are a great addition. They add just a tad more sparkle from the tarmac up!

The Clear Tail Light Assembly now ties in well with the Rear Chrome Lower Panels and Chrome Crank Case Cover.

The Viking Tail Bag with Polished Nickel Buckels gives the look of a bit more Testosterone. It also highlights the new Chrome Grab Handles, Chrome Rear Rack, Chrome Muffler Heat Shield and is the "Creme de la Creme against the Clear Tail Lights!

Lastly, here are some pictures of the new lights shown in both Off, On and Brake Engaged illumination! Although in the photos the Rear LED's look to be more white in Color, in reality they are Very Bright Red.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts