Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to Shannonville Motorsport Park with a few buddies to see what my car was really capable of.

I learned a lot about it and had tons of fun!!

I went with one friend who had a Honda Civic hatchback and another friend who had a Nissan 240SX (Kouki S14)

The car I brought was the stock SLK 280.

I took some pics and posted them up on Facebook so click below if you're interested!!

http://yorku.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2147934&l=18e79&id=48907621 <--- CLICK ME!!!

First times are usually the scariest. I was pretty intimidated when I got there by all the fast cars and skilled drivers. I started off by sitting in my friend's 240sx (S14). It was a pretty crazy first experience. Then I drove my first 2 laps. I drove them like the b!tch that I was. Man I totally lost focus and didn't know what to do!! I was so nervous that anything I ever knew about driving or racing went right out the window. I just couldn't apply anything!! Also there was this super aggressive Integra Type R there ridin' everyone's @ss like a hemroid and it just didn't make my first experience any easier for me.

After I pissed my pants, my friend took over and he showed me what my car could do...

Damn...

I pissed my pants again...

After a couple more laps he handed the car back over and I started driving pretty decently!!

By the end of the night I felt like I was almost driving the way I did in Gran Tourismo 4!! ('Cept a lot crappier in real life)...I was taking my turns a lot sharper, driving with a better line, and wasn't downshifting and braking as early as my first few laps.

Now I'm hooked!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey, congratulations on your track experience. It is a blast. Check out Easty's video's http://www.slkworld.com/slk-videos/1227-eastys-track-videos.html where he ran at Motor Sports Ranch http://www.motorsportranch.com/ in Cresson, TX and Texas World Speedway in College Station.

I will be returning to MSR this weekend. Having an instructor the first time allowed me to really improved greatly and looking forward to the larger track at MSR. Thanks for sharing, enjoyed your pics.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
You b!tch, lol.. j/k. :D, I had my first track day earlier this year and to be honest, it felt natural, I wasn't imitated or scaried one bit, it was extremely fun, went to 'one lap of america' today and I really really wanted to get on the track, it looks like the guys were having so much fun. I think I might go to an open track day sometime this month.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe, I'm not afraid to admit it!! My first couple laps were weak!!

I'm not sure how the rules are with you guys' tracks, but over here we're only allowed to pass on straights unless the person in front hits the hazards and signals you to pass on a safe turn.

This Type R was driving like he was in a bumper car. Tried to pass on every part possible, almost forced a few people off the track. Not safe and not cool. Too aggressive. It was just lapping...not Daytona 500...

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts

I'm not sure how the rules are with you guys' tracks, but over here we're only allowed to pass on straights unless the person in front hits the hazards and signals you to pass on a safe turn.

This Type R was driving like he was in a bumper car. Tried to pass on every part possible, almost forced a few people off the track. Not safe and not cool. Too aggressive. It was just lapping...not Daytona 500...
Passing is only allowed on designated areas and if the front car gives the signal to pass. That Type-R would had been flagged and kicked off the track, if he was that aggressive. :td:

·
Registered
303 Posts

Agree with Ynot. At the tracks here, they understand that they are daily drivers and agressive driving results in a black flag. You can only pass when the driver in front signals you to pass and it is in a passing area only. Too bad if the guy in front is slow, that is how the track events are run (it lets your tires and brakes cool down anyway).

Type R should go to a different level and/or been black flag. They have higher level events, where he can drive like that, but at his risk. Even the guys who have track only cars, pass safely, who wants to ruin a track car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts