Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum,

I have a 2003 slk. Just before Christmas I left the lights on for 10 minutes while I popped junto the local shop. The car had been used sparingly in the weeks before so assumed that my battery was low and I had used up the last of the juice.

I bought a new battery early January and it was fine until I tried to start the car yesterday. I hadn't driven the car for 2 weeks.

In both instances, when I tried charging, the interior and exterior lights all flash and there is a ticking sound like the indicators are on. I have no idea what is happening and can't find reference to this problem anywhere! Concerned that something is wrong with the electrics and that this is also draining the battery when car is not in use...

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Curro.

Yes, that could be part of the problem. It strikes me as odd that the battery ran down so quickly too. I will do some more searching and have a closerlook at the alarm tonight.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi Curro.

Yes, that could be part of the problem. It strikes me as odd that the battery ran down so quickly too. I will do some more searching and have a closerlook at the alarm tonight.
How could we check if something drainning the battery?

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Put an ammeter between the positive post of the battery and the positive cable. Unless you have an awfully big ammeter, do not try to start the car:(:(. What you are looking for is a negative reading on the gauge with the key off. Some multimeters come with an amp gauge. They aren't the cheapest ones so look around. They are available. This will tell you what the draw is; next thing to do is to pull fuses until it stops. Then you'll have a good idea what is causing your battery to discharge so rapidly. HTH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jimin, have read a few threads on here which seem to state similar issues. I suspect that my short trips don't help, especially as I have the heating on full as it's so cold in the UK over the winter months. The car is due its MOT and service next week which couldn't have come at a better time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.