Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this a few months ago but in the light of recent discussion I thought I would add. I wanted to be able to switch off the battery with the minimum of effort so the plan was to introduce the switch so it is accessible without even removing the battery cover.... wowee! These battery switches are easily available for auto of marine installations, the only problem was that the reasonably heavy duty ones had a little too much depth to clear the gap between the battery and its bulkhead panel. The posts inside the case are really much longer than needed so I removed enough of the post to give me the depth I needed. I then sawed the plastic casing still allowing a reasonable gap between the posts and the back-plate of the switch assembly itself. Next I attached a short length of negative cable from the battery to the switch and used the original cable to connect to the body. I did not want to drill holes in the battery compartment so I used heavy duty Velcro to securely attach the switch to the inside of the battery compartment. Presto! In the pictures you will also see my Ctek quick connector
plugs which I adapted to use with my Ring smart charger.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,507 Posts
diy section or leave it here? :D

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,311 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

either, Jeff.

I've toyed with retro fitting the attachments on the Peugot we used to have.
Absolute doddle to use.

1586780649188.png

·
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing.

either, Jeff.

I've toyed with retro fitting the attachments on the Peugot we used to have.
Absolute doddle to use.

View attachment 574930 View attachment 574930
I tried something that connected directly to the terminal. Problem was as you unscrewed the separating part it arced like crazy! My switch has a nice clean smooth break. Good quality switch, spring loaded, can recommend!

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
3 Posts
Is it not advisable to apply these power cuts in cars with the electronics of today? If it was a 190D from 1990 it was acceptable, it falls asleep completely when the key is turned off. In cars like our SLK 171, with lots of systems that never sleep, disconnecting the power like this at any time and for a long time, won't it cause problems afterwards? Isn't it preferable to connect a CTEK controller/charger?
Although there are those who advise against using CTEK.

·
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. At least, in over 7 years of total electronic shutdown never encountered a problem. ECU's have come a long way since. I remember how I could never let my Windows smartphone go flat cos I would lose everything. I think they call it RAM or ROM. Modern car computers employ ROM (read only memory) which is the important bit. Random access memory in our cars are features like clock, windows, transmission reset etc which forget the existing settings when not kept alive. That said, I'm not a total computer boffin geek and others may correct me. Either way, provided you follow sensible procedures, I don't think you need to worry.

Maya~Taptalk

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
3 Posts
Thanks for your help. By the way, was this the switch you mentioned that gave you problems?

I tried something that connected directly to the terminal. Problem was as you unscrewed the separating part it arced like crazy!

·
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help. By the way, was this the switch you mentioned that gave you problems?

Yes, that is identical to the one I was referring to. Problem is no matter how quickly you loosen or tighten the screw it will not give a clean break!

I had another look at your previous video and to be honest, I'm not sure what the guy was ranting about but I suspect he is talking about reprogramming an ECU with a failsafe power supply. I have a small device I bought from Halfords years ago which plugs into a cigarette power socket to keep the memory alive while changing the battery. It cost about £15 and was good for older cars with radios that needed a security code every time you disconnected the battery etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts