Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 SLK 300 My battery died and cant get it started.....I finally got got it jumped after resetting the computer and such. Its running but will not move out of parking gear. Any idea what is needed to do?
I had the car sitting for about 1 1/2 months

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
475 Posts
I need to put my car on a trickle charger after 3 or 4 days - if I leave it 14 days I know it most likely wont start. 6 weeks and it will be as dead as a dodo. I'm not sure about why the engine starts but you can't get it out of park but suspect it's battery related - have you given it a good full charge, if not that's where I'd start.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
249 Posts
I think its in the owners manual how to release it. I do not know the page for sure but I think in the 300s This was just ask last week.

·
Registered 2011 SLK350
33 Posts
Hello It is what you need :

From the R172 Owner's manual:
Releasing the parking lock manually
../../../../global/pictures_mb/symb_ruf.png

Do not use any sharp-edged objects to remove the selector lever gaiter from the centre console. This could damage the selector lever gaiter.
images/img786f67a251cf4ada351f191565743526_1_--_--_JPG72.jpg

Engage the electric parking brake.

Press the frame of selector level gaiter
mbsymb6_inv_003a.png

together somewhat on the side edge at the back and hold with one hand

With the other hand, prise out the frame of selector level gaiter with a flat, blunt object (e.g. a screwdriver wrapped in cloth) at rear edge, pulling it up and out at the same time.

Press release button down and simultaneously move the selector lever out of position P.

The selector lever can now be moved freely until it is returned to position P.

In the event of an electrical fault, it is possible to release the selector lever lock manually to move it out of position P. This occurs if the vehicle is towed away, for example

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
60 Posts
I think the OP has an SLC300 with the 9G gearbox. I could be wrong of course as we don't get an SLK300 in Europe.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,154 Posts
I think the OP has an SLC300 with the 9G gearbox. I could be wrong of course as we don't get an SLK300 in Europe.
He says he's in Florida.
?

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,960 Posts
2016 SLK 300 My battery died and cant get it started.....I finally got got it jumped after resetting the computer and such. Its running but will not move out of parking gear. Any idea what is needed to do?
I had the car sitting for about 1 1/2 months
I assume You've closed the drivers door? - So annoying that My 9G box goes into Natural & apply's the parking brake, as soon as the drivers door is opened, to check for curb distance, ect.....

Out of interest, this is the towing instructions for the 9G box, from the SLC interactive owners manual:

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
507 Posts
Also when a lead acid battery has been run down and sitting discharged for a while it can be permanently damaged inside. Looks like it is taking a charge but will not properly support a load. Car might be sensing this and not letting you go anywhere.

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wondering if anyone had issues like mine. Had the car parked for about 2 or 3 weeks, tried starting it and it was dead. Put a charger on it, and it seemed like it came alive, but still wouldnt start. So then put the jumper cables from my F250 to the jumper posts, and it still didnt want to kick over. Called Merc Roadside, they sent a guy out and he had the portable start box, he pressed some door lock buttons in a sequence (must be a trick workaround) and he got the car started right up. But then the car would not shift out of P, and noticed the back lighting around the shifter would trim panel would flicker occasionally. But still couldnt get to shift. He hooked up computer to it but saw nothing. I am now thing it needs towed into dealer and have them look at it. I had battery replaced about 9 months ago, so assuming that should be good. I was wondering if there is some sort of lockup in the 9 speed transmission which would not deactivate or so...

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
249 Posts
Think I would go back to the battery and ensure you don't have a dead cell in the battery that you said was dead. Most times when a battery dies , it will not come back up and hold a good charge. Put a charger on it for 6 + hours on 10 amps and then check it with charger attached. Remove charge and check battery again. Come back in 4 hours and check battery. Should be over 12.8 volts at rest. If this not a seal battery you also can check the cell voltage. Post back

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to put my car on a trickle charger after 3 or 4 days - if I leave it 14 days I know it most likely wont start. 6 weeks and it will be as dead as a dodo. I'm not sure about why the engine starts but you can't get it out of park but suspect it's battery related - have you given it a good full charge, if not that's where I'd start.
Thanks. Once we got it started, disconnected battery as well....it still wouldnt shift to D. Alt is charging the battery....I wouldnt think the battery would die if it was dead for few weeks, can they damage?

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello It is what you need :

From the R172 Owner's manual:
Releasing the parking lock manually
../../../../global/pictures_mb/symb_ruf.png

Do not use any sharp-edged objects to remove the selector lever gaiter from the centre console. This could damage the selector lever gaiter.
images/img786f67a251cf4ada351f191565743526_1_--_--_JPG72.jpg

Engage the electric parking brake.

Press the frame of selector level gaiter
mbsymb6_inv_003a.png

together somewhat on the side edge at the back and hold with one hand

With the other hand, prise out the frame of selector level gaiter with a flat, blunt object (e.g. a screwdriver wrapped in cloth) at rear edge, pulling it up and out at the same time.

Press release button down and simultaneously move the selector lever out of position P.

The selector lever can now be moved freely until it is returned to position P.

In the event of an electrical fault, it is possible to release the selector lever lock manually to move it out of position P. This occurs if the vehicle is towed away, for example
Mine is electronic and has no button when you remove the frame.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,154 Posts
Thanks. Once we got it started, disconnected battery as well....it still wouldnt shift to D. Alt is charging the battery....I wouldnt think the battery would die if it was dead for few weeks, can they damage?
Once it "zero's out", in all likelihood will never hold enough of a charge. Time to look for a replacement if it was "dead" as you say.

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SLK 300 was only made in Model year 2016....in 2017 and beyond it is the SLC300 and prior to 2016 it was SLK280

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I assume You've closed the drivers door? - So annoying that My 9G box goes into Natural & apply's the parking brake, as soon as the drivers door is opened, to check for curb distance, ect.....

Out of interest, this is the towing instructions for the 9G box, from the SLC interactive owners manual:
View attachment 585774
Hmmmm yes I think the door was closed. We tried several times, the lights are not lighting on the trim panel either.

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once it "zero's out", in all likelihood will never hold enough of a charge. Time to look for a replacement if it was "dead" as you say.
I am think the dealer will replace it as I had it replaced under warranty last Novemeber. It should still have some sort warranty on it. I had car flat bedded to dealer today and am waiting to hear what they think...
The tow company removed the right rear wheel and attached an adapter to allow the rear wheels to spin freely....then load onto flat bed.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,154 Posts
SLK 300 was only made in Model year 2016....in 2017 and beyond it is the SLC300 and prior to 2016 it was SLK280
Maybe if @worldavi asked for his data card HERE we could clear this up tout suite 😉 Not saying you're wrong as you should know your own car 😉

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
100,476 Posts
Besides the free datacard, what does it say on the trunk boot? SLK or SLC?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts