Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I depends on how old your battery is. A good battery should last a couple of months at the least. Unless you have a bad ground somewhere.Depending on where you live. Here in Florida we will only get about 3 to 5 years out of a battery. Just my thoughts I am sure you will get smarter answers than mine.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
how many days should a full battery last if the car is in a garage and locked??
regards paul
On an R171 you are looking at about 4 weeks maximum. Have you got power in your garage? If so, consider getting a battery tender.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've let mine go 2-3 weeks, any longer than that and I hook up a battery maintainer, which is really a good idea if the car is going to be sitting unused for more than a couple weeks.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you are not driving the car, is it ok to start the engine and let it run for few minutes inside the garage?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do not run the car for a few minutes in the garage without opening the garage door first.

I like to add a battery maintainer after the car sits for a month without starting. Connecting the battery to slow charger for a day is better for a low battery than the high charge current of the car's alternator.

·
Registered
351 Posts
how many days should a full battery last if the car is in a garage and locked??
regards paul
Hi Paul:
As "raybonj" mentioned, battery age is one thing. Another is the number of items in the car that draw current when the car isn't running. Things like clocks, computer memories, a light in the glove box or trunk left on by accident.

How the battery has been cared for to begin with also has its effects. A battery that otherwise is kept on a Battery Tender {or other smart float chargers/maintainers} - will hold a charge longer {when not on the charger} than a battery that hasn't been.

I also agree with "raybonj" - 3 to 5 years for a battery that is used in a car that isn't driven daily, and not kept on a Battery Tender.

I bought a Firestone "FOREVER" Battery in 1975 for my 1972 240Z - lifetime warranty - Firestone had replaced it most of the time every 3 to 5 years before I started keeping them on battery tenders of some kind. When I started keeping them on battery tenders - their average life went from 3 to 5 year, to 7+ years. In a car that I drove every three or four months.

I have found that the AMG batteries {Optima} hold a charge longer than any other type I've used, when not kept on battery tenders. With the Optima now 4 years old, I've let a car sit for three months - and it cranked right up.

Battery tenders / maintainers are relatively inexpensive - if I knew I was going to let a car set for more than a week - and I didn't know the age and condition of the battery - I'd hook it up to a tender/maintainer of some sort.

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
THIS is one that a few of us in the UK use. No need to pay any more. I link it up by croc clips to the charging point under the red flap near the RHS strut tower, and the -ve on a nearby nut. I connect it up every time I park up, and my original battery is coming up to 9 years old.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get a battery tender.

When I am in Europe each summer for 4 - 6 weeks I have everything that uses an auto-type battery (cars, tractor,etc.) connected to a battery tender type of charger. The best (and most expensive) is the C-Tek charger, really sophisticated and works fantastic.

When I get back home everything starts up like it's only been sitting for a few hours.

Letting a battery discharge fully is really bad for battery life. Get a tender and don't experience those dead battery situations.

dlomshek
Southeast Kansas, USA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.