Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea how to disconnect my battery [no, I don't need to and I'm not experimenting with any mod] but I thought if there were anything basic I should know what to do, I would imagine it would start with disconnecting the battery. So, I head to youtube [shivers] and find this..is it accurate?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Always disconnect the negative lead (black or brown) first - this is earthed to the body, so if your spanner (wrench) slips, it won't short out and melt the wrench and ruin the battery - which can happen if you try and disconnect the positive first.

Also, when reconnecting, connect the positive first. When connecting the negative, do it in one firm, deliberate movement - if you are hesitant about it, it can generate sparks (and subsequent electrical 'spikes' ), which the on board electronics don't like.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK 200K
10,745 Posts
I have one on the r171 for the " battery resets " , funnily since I put it in , haven't needed it , and also on my BMW that sits for long periods , that way I know the battery will be the same as I left it , no need for trickle charging !

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one on the r171 for the " battery resets " , funnily since I put it in , haven't needed it , and also on my BMW that sits for long periods , that way I know the battery will be the same as I left it , no need for trickle charging !
Could you explain please what it's purpose is? Reading that ebay ad is like german to me.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Also make sure you have your radio code or you will be going to the Mercedes Dealer with prof of owner ship to get the code. It has to be reset after you have disconnected the battery. :tu:
Number 10 mm socket or wrench should be the size you need to disconnect the terminal. :biglaugh:

·
Registered 2004 SLK 200K
10,745 Posts
You remove the negative from your battery and put this item in its place , you then connect the negative to this !
Disconnecting/connecting the battery is then just a matter of turning the black wheel one way or the other !
It's of a very solid construction and there's no sparking at all , when used !

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curr that's brilliant! I'll have to find one on the us ebay or the local parts store.

Ray-I no longer have the factory radio-would this matter? I would think not.

·
Registered 2004 SLK 200K
10,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts