Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Hi Guys,
This is a very simple procedure but when I was reading through the threads I could not locate a A-Z procedure, in a single location.
So Here is Mine.

1. Selecting the Battery
I Chose a unit from Costco Canada, (I know some will cringe) but I am not convinced it is NOT the same original manufacturer.
See thread on why I think this was the right decision
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/100633-original-battery.html

2. Tools Needed
- 10mm long neck socket (for top bolt and pole connectors)
- 14mm socket (for bottom Bolt)
- Ratchet
- Ratchet Extension (to reach bottom of pan)
- Rag (to clean out bottom surface of pan)
- Brass or C op-brush or buffing wheel

3. Procedure
- I trickled charge the Battery before putting it into the car. This was more to see what "state" it was in. After about an hour it was on "float", so it was fully charged on purchase (Good).
- Open Roof and lower windows (don't want to get locked out)
- Turn ignition off & remove key
- Remove Rain Cover (3 butterfly clips)
- Undo front top holder bracket nut, and remove top holder (it just twists off - Picture 7, "Battery-in")
- Undo bottom nut to release battery base holder & pull out (Picture 7, "Battery-in")
- Loosen nut and Undo Neg connector (disconnect quickly as to not freak-out electronic's)
- Undo Pos connector same way (remove pole top cover if necessary)
- Pull out battery, with lift handles. Be careful of the vent tube.
- Clean bottom of PAN
- I also while I was there flushed out the drainage hole with high pressure hose.
- I also while I was there brushed the screw bolts to clean them up
- I brushed the connector's inside for a clean connection.
- I give a quick spray of rust paint to the bottom bolt while it was off to further protect it.
- I notices a few minor scratches - no metal exposure but you could see where the base of the battery touched the base of the pan, dispite the rubber spacers. I added 2 addition rubber spacers where the scratches were.
- Replace with NEW Battery
- Reverse the mounting sequence
- Again be careful when connecting the neg pole connector, connect once quickly and secure it with a bit of hand pressure while you tighten the bolt. you don't want power fluctuations to hit the electronics.
- The new battery pole cover had a small plug to close the vent plug not used (the battery has a vent hole on each side) - I reused the original vent elbow & tube (but I will replace it since it seems that the plastic is now brittle.
- It has always been a tradition to cover the poles with Vasaline (or grease). I don't know if its a Canadian thing, because of our harsh winters or if its a added level of security against corrosion, but I've always done it, so I did it again. (see pic 8)
- The original negative pole had no cover. The new battery had one for each pole, so I modified it to let the cable pass through. Make sure you have no sharp edges (i buffed mine - Pic 9).
- Close her up
- I then turned on the ignition, all looks good so far
- I then started her up (Wow, she turned over much quicker - starter now seems like its on steroids!)
- I turned the wheel lock-to lock (I read somewhere this was necessary?)
- I raised the driver and passenger window and held the button in for a sec to reset the pinch system (I did it on window down as well but probably was not necessary)
= My radio did not need a PIN or reset code (I think post 2005 - you don't need that)
= Seats did not need to be reprogrammed, nor did the radio settings

Very easy JOB
- Saved $100 over the price of the Original MBZ battery + Labour if I had the mechanic do it.
- Total time 45 Minutes (a large part of that was cleaning / polishing / painting) it would have been 15 min for just a replacement.
Total Cost $99 for the battery. ($9 for the vent tube & elbow... to come)

Hoping this is clear
Paul

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Very nice. Thanks! I will sticky in the DIY section

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you saying that the kirkland battery are the same as merc supplied ones ???
No.
I'm saying that the, Kirkland Signature Series from Costco Canada
MAY be the same as the Merc supplied ones.

My only evidence of this possibility is circumstantial at best.
That evidence, is simply based on the similarities in the outside appearance.

I have no other references supporting this simple observation.
I do not know if Costco source the same vendors from one country to the next, let alone from one province to the other.

On the other hand I would not be surprised if there are very few manufacturers of automotive lead-acid batteries, which are distributed under a very high number of different labels. So the possibility may be more real than we realize.

The only cinch in the armour with this possibility, is that these suckers are heavy, so there may be value in producing these locally where the are sold, reducing transportation costs to market.

I will search the NET, to see how real my assumption is. This is something the manufactures & suppliers would rather not be known for obvious reasons.

I will also reach to an old time buddy of mine who works for a specialized battery manufacturer ( not automotive & not lead acid ) he may know more of that likelihood being in a similar industry.

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
1,495 Posts
You'd think it would say country of origin. Also OEM at least in my year was AGM battery, does this one say if it is AGM?

AWESOME DIY!!! Thanks!!! Y)

It's hard to argue with the 36 month free replacement. Also from my experience for other cars, unlike auto parts places, they won't waste your time when you bring it back to test it, when you know it's the battery bad.

I'd like the Costco item number if you have it?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Product # is 721112806037
Fitment Code is 24
N6 (not sure what that stands for)
270552 is the code on the label

It clearly sais "Imported" for Costco Canada, followed by the HQ office address in Ottawa, Canada
so something tells me it may or may not be the same product code of the US.

I often see things sold in the US Costco, that are not available in Canada and visa-versa.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I could be wrong, but my recollection is there are only 3 or 4 major battery manufacturers in North America. But I also understand that they do make the batteries slightly different for each private brand based on whatever is specified by the private label.
Found this on the internet so it must be true :biglaugh:
"The majority of car batteries are created by 3 manufacturers - Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries. Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and ACDelco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries."

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A search on the internet, seems to indicate its simply a tender offer & reply process.
Based on vehicle needs, spec's are defined a tender goes out and the best fit response is awarded. Once the contract is terminated it all starts over again.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Some tips...

After removing the connection from the battery post:

1. Place a cap (I kept a few from some prior car battery) on the battery posts immediately to prevent shorting the circuits, and

2. Place a closed-cell foam cover or any insulating material around the cable connectors. I use a 8 cm section (3-inch) of a closed-cell foam used to insulate copper or plumbing pipes and secured with rubber band. I use both on the positive and negative ends.

3. I also place protective caps on the posts of the new battery (black for negative, red for the positive post) until everything is ready for the connection. All tools should be within reach (mainly the ratchet tool, which by the way was wrapped with thin rubber sheet to prevent accidental short-circuits).

Below is a photo of the negative end, notice the black cap on the negative post (battery has just been placed and secured):

Photo of the positive side showing the red cap on the post and foam cover on the cable connectors. The small yellow clamp acted as a third hand to the keep the cable connector from springing back into the middle of the battery compartment while the battery is being removed or a new battery being placed.

Reactions: Trev5 and UK-C200

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
581 Posts
Well, my 55 had been struggling to start with it getting progressively worse so I took to a garage to be tested today. He said 'yep, thats knackered', went back in to price one up, came back out and it wouldn't start! Had to jump start me. Got it on charge now hope it holds enough until I get one fitted :p Looking at a Bosch one with 4 year guarantee, £97, not bad ;)

·
Registered 2013 SL63
556 Posts
Have a look on eBay for "Bosch 096" batteries. Eurocarparts eBay store do a Bosch 5 year warranty battery for £82.39 delivered or click and collect at your local branch. Strangely its much cheaper via eBay than going direct to the store either online or face to face.
Best deal I could find....
Russ

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just thought I would add this for those with a Sam's Club membership. I used to have Costco in Texas, but only a Sam's here in Clarksville Tennessee. I was confused by the manual as it shows that for a 2005 SLK a 49 battery was required with 825 CCA, but the 49 is over 13 inches long and I knew it would not fit. Looking online there were several in this 49 category listed for my car as well. I called Mercedes and got the "bring the car in or call roadside assistance", but was uncertain that would even be available considering the closest MB is about one and half hour drive, and my class schedule is hectic. The local Firestone recommended an H6 for my car but I did not like what they had to offer (nor their prices for a non-OEM or even an AGM battery).

So I got a Duracell (Deka) AGM battery H6 or 48, depending on what code is on the battery. What is strange is this is what was recommended for a 2007 and later SLK, which had me scratching my head as to why it would not be this for the 2006 or 2005 in this particular book. Anyway for $150 I think its a great deal and everything seems to be working fine, and it fits just like the OEM.

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
good to know. thanks battery size should be 10 7/8 x 6 7/8 x 7 1/2

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Group 48 or H6 is the correct size.

Johnson Controls is the parent company that manufactures car batteries for Varta, Costco and Interstate.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
21 Posts
None of the Costco's in Southern California seem to carry the Kirkland H6. From what I've found, Autozone, Pepboys, and Batteriesplus recommend H8/Group Size 49 batteries but they are all around 14" wide. So that isn't going to work right? Do I need to have a battery with 825cca? Or will a H6 with 760cca be fine? Like this: Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group Size H6/L3/48 | Product Details | Pep Boys

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK 350
16 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my 2006 SLK 350 with a Bosch Premium Power Group size 48 from Pep Boys. Pep Boys will connect your car to a power supply during the battery swap to keep the car powered and prevent it from "forgetting" things.

But here's the rub, I initially did the order online through their website. The website insisted that I needed a Group size 49 battery. I checked a number of other auto dealer web sites and they also said Group size 49. Don't believe them. You need a Group size 48.

Also, the web site gives a very nice discount (25%) on all online orders over $100. I didn't think the battery recommended would fit, but I figured they could just make the necessary adjustments once the installation was done.

They did find the right battery, but they were not able to do the adjustments to the invoice as I expected, so I paid about $30 more than I could have paid going through the web site. (I plan to create a stern e-mail to them about this.)

So if you want to do Pep Boys, locate the specific battery you want and search for it by stock number (mine was Part # 48-690B SKU: 9073748) and do your order from there, not specifying your vehicle. Then while you are checking out, use the promo code TREAT25 and get your 25% discount if your order is over $100.

·
Registered 2006 SLK 350
16 Posts
On my SLK 350, it's in the engine compartment, on the passengers side, right in front of the firewall. The battery is under the drain tray. The tray is held down at three points. One in the front and two in the back. Just give the snaps a half turn and they should release.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.