Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my SLK about 8 months ago, and the bodywork is pretty good, but has the odd blemish (mainly groups of light scratches on front wings)!

I am going to get a quote for the more significant scratches, and two small dings.

The paint is OK, but certainly lacks a shine (Iridium Silver paint)

I am an enthusiastic (but lazy :frown:) novice when it comes to looking after the body work..so where to start?

What would be the first thing I need to do in renovating the paint? "Clay" it, "Cut" it or something else?

In light, the paint is full of small swirl marks from past ownership!

Thanks

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Rub your hand lightly over the paint (washed car), can you feel a gritty texture? If so you could clay it, then lightly polish it (Autoglym super resin polish is easy to use) and then apply a decent wax. The new synthetic waxes (Maguires Ultimate Liquid Wax smell nice) don't dry white and are fairly easy to apply.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Griot's makes a nice 6" buffer that is super easy to use and not crazy expensive. Meguiar's 105 and 205 are great polishes (autogeek.net has a nice kit with these and the buffer). Put your choice of wax/sealant on after that. As stated above, clay bar it if there are a lot of contaminants on the paint.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Paint surface feels a bit rough, so I guess first task is to clay it and see what results.

I have some "Auto Glym" resin polish somewhere (I think it was a birthday present several years ago :surprise:) so can use that after claying.

Can I use a "dual action random orbital sander" (with sanding disks replaced with a fluffy head :grin:) instead of a polisher? (Far too lazy to be doing it by hand :|!)

Then wax polish.

OK got it

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,133 Posts
If it is dual action then yes.

Orbital (single action) need greater care and can make more marks than they polish out.

Several good and short clips on the Meguairs site.

·
Registered
170 Posts
For small scratches, I've had very good results using Meguires Scratch-X 2.0, which you apply and buff by hand.

As for your question about using a sander, my guess is that it probably spins too fast. And I'll also agree with @SilverSLK2010 about getting a professional detailing. Once you've done that one time, keeping your car nice should be fairly easy.

If you're interested in learning about detailing, I'd recommend the AmmoNYC channel on YouTube. That guy is a professional detailer of very high end cars, and shares all his secrets. (He's also trying to sell product, but isn't annoying about it.)

https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom

Good luck! And please post before and after shots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts