Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torrential rains in NM (worst in 30 years) and I hit a pothole with my right front and the BAS/ESP warning light came on. SLK320 seems to be driving and braking fine. What can I do to clear the light besides taking to MuchoBucks dealer? Sorry to be such a PnInTAs, but it's my first baby.

·
Registered
373 Posts
your wheels speed sensor may have broken, only way to check that is to either replace it, or take it to the dealer and have them check it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sensor

You should be able to run the codes and confirm which wheel is having the problem. I think a new sensor is about 130 bucks.

I had a similar issue. Depending on your tools and experience, you may be able to DIY. If not, it's really not that expensive a repair.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
It's an oddity the BAS light.. when I first got the car, I was moving it in and out of the garage testing gears etc.. and the slightest lip from the garage floor would set it off. You may want to do the 30 minute disconnect the battery trick to see if the sensor resets itself. If it doesnt and the light is still on, then you'll know you've got a real problem.

Mine turned off after the left right wheel turn though per the manuals instruction.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This happens to mine sometimes when I I have been to the car wash. Usually goes off after a short drive. However, it stayed on for several days during the summer. ABS etc. were working fine, so I was not too worried. Turned out to be a dirty / corroded connection. A bit of a clean up and the problem ahs not come back since - even with the car wash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll try the battery disconnect first. Do I need a code reader or is there another way to check the codes. I know on my wife's jeep you turn the key half a dozen times and count the blinking lights, but I think that is more for the 'check engine light'.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Any auto parts store should have a code reader and be able to pull these for you. At least this is what they do for us in the US. And if there is a stock mb radio in it, call mbusa.com's customer service number and they will give you the radio code after you disconnect the battery if there is a problem wit it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
30-minute battery disconnect did not work to clear the light so I guess I'll go to the code reader. I have an OBD II reader. Is that going to work and if so, where does it plug in?

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
You have a facelift model yes? Look under the dash on the drivers side. There should be an orange plastic tab that you open up, and the odb reader plugs into. But I'm not sure if your year requires the ODB II reader or not. More people will chime in.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I believe that that MY requires an OBDII reader. I bought one that works with Torque for Android for £7 (about $12). Not tested extensively yet, but seems to be showing sensible data. More will be posted when I've had a proper play with it.

The socket is next to the bonnet (hood) opening lever, under the dash on driver's side of car on UK models.

·
Registered
27 Posts
mine does it sometimes .. as a matter of fact it did it this morning ... yesterday i noticed my front right tire is a little low ... this has caused the light before .. i just need to air back up and I bet it will go away ... it has before ...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Autozone

Just go to an autoparts store, they will usually pull the codes for free.

If resetting it doesnt work, and it started happening when you slammed into a pothole, I'd be willing to put money on the problem being the sensor needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. Took it to my mechanic while I left town for a weekend camping trip and the bas/esp light coming on when I hit the pothole was strictly coincidence. A rodent had been stripping some electrical wires and we guess, when I hit the hole, it jarred a bare wire onto metal and shorted the fault light. He re-taped the wires and re-set the computer and $189 later it's fine.
Thanks again:bannana:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Keep us posted

189 for taping some wires seems really steep. Let us know if that fixes the problem long-term, I'm actually interested in the outcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
189 for taping some wires seems really steep.
Must be OEM tape.
Glad you resolved the issue.
I've seen plenty of time consuming electrical issues caused by rodents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts