Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys the bas esp and abs light is on , the speedo quit working, cleaned the speedo sending ring , and it worked for a bloock and quit, just changed the left and right sensors, no change..also have the po500 light on , it did not change either...pulled the brake switch...brake lights work and the other plug seems to operate when the sensor is pressed...pressing it opens one set, and closes the other....ideas?what else would give a 500 code plus bas esp and abs light?....thanks...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,378 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
Sounds straight forward to me - speed sensor issue.

there are a couple of finicky little parts inside the assembly that bolts to the transmission - alignment of that little cog is also pretty critical. did you pull enough of the assembly out to look at the condition of the gear?

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,085 Posts
Send up the bat signal!....?
Nearest I could find to a Mercedes-shaped searchlight....

manual 6 speed..does it have a sensor too?
There isn't a direct signal to measure on the instrument cluster when the BAS/ASR light illuminates - that's done as a signal over the CAN bus. I have a copy of the wiring diagram and diagnostic info for the BAS/ESP module which should help you piece together what's happening and what has failed. PM me your email address and I'll drop the details to you right away. Please be quick - I'm not near my computer from Saturday for a week. (Happy Holidays by the way)

Savcom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wheel speed sensor, speddometer, po500

Guys, still have a p0500 a code on the 2001 320...any more ideas, changed the the two front ones checked both back ones..they had about 19 ohms each and were the same...any other connectors before they go where ever? do they have a relay or what else would make the vss on the md 808 show vss equals zero?....

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
514 Posts
Assuming you've gone through the suggestions in your other thread ................

Have you you gone through a drive cycle after clearing all the codes with your scanner ?
Firstly check that all the connections at the vehicle speed sensors are solid, clear all the codes, and then take her out for some mixed driving.
Gently at first, and if the CEL hasn't come back on and she's properly warmed up, give her some beans.

Oh, and a fully charged battery is a must on the R170 :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
battery fully charged, trying to clear the code so i can attempt a drive cycle..without speed, i dont think it can do a drive cycle....id like to find where the speed sensors lead so i can furthur trouble shoot it....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the exact same thing with the same code and it turned out to be the K40 after trying everything under the sun including inspecting and re-soldering (looked perfect) the old K40 ... I went to an indie for the diagnostic after replacing abs sensors pump etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i can shotgun it by buying another k 40,,,any one know what functions the other two ecu s next to the k 40 perform, i understand at least one cannot be just changed with out programing..is that true?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.