Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will not pretend to know what Im doing under any hood-except to add windshield wiper fluid.

This is what I have and this is what I need done-aside from my schedule B that was just completed. Also-if you take your mb into the dealer for schedule B and they tell you the ball joints are loose-but aren't concerned with telling you they tightened or fixed them for now BUT you should get them replaced/done soon-isn't something wrong with that statement? Are they something that just gets replaced or?

2003 slk 320 and the dealer says I need:

1. to replace the ball joints [which in turn will also require a new alignment after and balancing of course-OH and another thing, did I REALLY READ CORRECTLY that those parts are only $30 a piece?!?]
2. a new air filter
3. a new fuel filter [this is different?]
4. eventually spark plugs [BUT he then says to me "yeah we looked at them they are not in bad shape but we believe they are original"] Is that even possible? 100k and never a spark plug change?
5. a gasket valve cover that has a "slight" leak [um.. excuse me.. a leak is a leak, shouldn't that be at the top of the list or am I just chick panicking here?]

F)

Thanks all

p.s. is any of this easily done myself?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
4. check your maintenance manual. sparks on my 09 55 were due at 80k so 100k is not that far off

·
97,379 Posts
5. 55s are notorious for valve gasket leaks

·
97,379 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
1. Yes,the ball joints are cheap $30-35. I'd worry about the whole steering drag link. You might to inspect if it has any play in it. Mine was totalled at 120k. Better to get one with ball joints already included. Dealer charges $300 smth just for the drag link +$60 for ball joints $120 for two + whatever the labor is. I assume lots of money. Better get one online assembled. Cost me $200 OEM quality.
2. The air filter is dirt cheap. Around $20-25 from online dealer. I'd recommend to go with OEM. I had Fram installed and it just doesn't fit as tight as the OEM... Easy DIY. Couple minutes, 3 clips and hand soap after :)
4. Fuel filter around $50.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Oh man, Jeff, that was my 555th post! :) I remember starting with 0 statistics and feeling sooo far behind :)
I can't thank the fellow forum members enough! I've learned soooo many things since I'm here!!!Y)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
The leak from the valve cover is not a major deal but messy...and should be dealt with, but not urgent (though it may drip on to the headers/exhaust and get smelly..)

Air filters (two) are on top of the engine under the cover...it just pulls off.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay,

I am going to attempt to find an indy early next week [thank you DF ;)] and get some more things done. The filters the filters.. dare I look under my own hood this weekend? I just got her back from schedule b maintenance and price shopping other mb service departments shaved -$460 off the bill. Thank god for ingenuity. Let's see what else I can do..

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Yes, you can do the filters no problem (watch your nails, buy a pair of mechanics gloves).

Yes, you can change the antenna no problem. Use an adjustable wrench and a thin cloth so you don't mare the finish. Use Search to do some reading, if you haven't, as the shorties decrease reception range.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you can do the filters no problem (watch your nails, buy a pair of mechanics gloves).

Yes, you can change the antenna no problem. Use an adjustable wrench and a thin cloth so you don't mare the finish. Use Search to do some reading, if you haven't, as the shorties decrease reception range.
Makes no difference really..if there are commercials, I won't listen to it. The previous owner hooked up the iphone/ipod connecter and its programmed through the "cd" option on the sound system.

I have to figure out how to connect the phone [if I even can..I see a mic on the roof by the lights so im pretty sure there is something I can do there] and I still have to program the garage door opener. So much to do with no good weather yet.. ugh! :rb

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't lucky enough to get one..but I did find the pdf version online. Not to be repetitive..but I seriously couldn't get the gas cover up to fill up. My jeep pulls out, this one you have to push to get it open. DONT ASK! IM A NEW MOTHER!!! cut me a little slack lmfao!

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just keeping up with the maintenance thread. Quotes on the windshield wiper fluid leak:

$165
$223
$262

You can guess which one got the work. It astounds me every time I price a repair out, the huge difference in quotes received.

edited: its not the plastic container that houses the fluid, its the pump behind the drivers side tire. $225.

edited for updating service record.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.