Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about fuel.
I have worked a lot with my car and never had any problems with the engine.
I have changed oil, filter, sparkplugs, It just runs beautifully, or did.

I had some issues with with smoke earlier but that was solved thanks to you here.

Now I was driving up to my parents, no other problems other that I was running out of fuel.
I stopped and refueled, unleaded 98, and after a couple of km the car stopped responding to my attempt to accelerate.
Engine failure light came up, so I pulled over and read the codes.
Misfiring at cyl#2 and cyl #4
Removed the error codes and restarted, she didn´t want to start as easily as before and felt a little bit tired.
I got up to my parents and today I was driving home.
After 150 km the car stops responding again, warning light came up and this time the faultcode was misfiring at cyl #1 and #5
I deleted the errorcodes and continued home, in a very slow pace.

Another 100 km the same thing happens again.. and this time it was cyl #3.

So at this time I had misfiring at cyl #2, #4, #1, #5, #3
50 km from home when I change down from 5 gear to 4 to slow down.. exiting the freeway, there is a big bang under the bonnet and the entire road is filled up with with smoke and the engine sounds like .. words I cant write here...
(and yes, the car was brought home on a transport and will probably not be out on the roads again this year)

Could contaminated fuel cause these kind of problems?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,287 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,281 Posts
Lets say the fuel was bad I could see the misfire on the cylinders even if you run it low and it sucked debris into the engine the fuel up should have burned it off after all them kilometers. The bang could have been a giant misfire but the smoke under the hood worries me.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lets say the fuel was bad I could see the misfire on the cylinders even if you run it low and it sucked debris into the engine the fuel up should have burned it off after all them kilometers. The bang could have been a giant misfire but the smoke under the hood worries me.
The smoke was from the exhaust..and the bang was mechanical,, the smoke covered the entire exit from the freeway. My son and he´s friends picked me and my car up. now I´m "not sober" and depressed again.
A couple of more beers and a good night sleep then I can start taking her apart tomorrow.
But I cant afford any repairs.. I´m broke

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
White smoke coming out the tail pipe and blocking the traffic behind?
Yeah.. nobody could see anything..
The entire freeway and exit was foggy
But I will be back on the road 2021 ...

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,206 Posts
Something is leaking for sure;head gasket? who knows, we're a few thousand miles away diagnosing online.

Here is a way to test that I found. Kit around $35

and

and

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,807 Posts
It is beginning to sound like wet plugs, hence the misfires across the board combined with the white smoke.

Across the board suggests both head gaskets?? WTF?

I can see why you'd blame the fuel if you have no coolant loss ..

Compression test ASAP

:(

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,281 Posts
I cant remember if the cooling system has been pressure tested they last time OP told us about his smoke problem at start up but between the misfire and smoke that gasket is gone. I just hope he did not warp the head too bad. The same thing happen too me years ago on a W108 because of a faulty analog Temp Gage. I had the head shaved and reinstalled but the car never run like it should.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I´m awake now but a little bit hungover.. so I will have a couple of cups of coffee before I go out.

The compression test was normal then but the coolant system is not pressure tested, I was not able to get my hands on the necessary equipment for that.

@Dave2302 and @M4rCu5 both mention to take a new compression test before I do anything else.
I will do that if I get my hands of the tools again today, but I want to remove the valve covers and take a look.

My budget for this is 0 in any currency so I´m dreaming of summer 2021 instead.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had misfire on cyl 1 2 3 4 5 but not on 6
I removed 1 sparkplug from each cyl today and #6 looks a little bit different.
They don´t look like I want them to be after 1500 km.

But it started to rain again so I´m inside looking for my camera.

Summer 2021 :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts