Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 SLK 280 with the Harmon Kardon speakers and the iPod connector. Up until a couple of weeks ago, stereo sounded fine; but over the last few weeks it has developed a bad distortion that appears at all volume levels; it can be heard in radio, satellite, and iPod sources. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking a component in the preamp has drifted out of spec, so this could be a $$$$ repair...

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
I agree, more likely to be a blown speaker

Reactions: AB4EJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Certainly possible; need advice on how to check this

I agree, more likely to be a blown speaker
Certainly possible; could you provide any guidance on how to check this to be sure? I'm pretty handy but I have not had occasion to take anything apart in the stereo system before (aside from replacing wiring harness in trunk)...

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Easiest way is to find an Indy with Star Diag and have them run the sound diagnostic - will generate individual test tones to each speaker directly from the amp. Other way would be to make an MP3 with test tones on each channel and try using that...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does seem to be a bad speaker; can I replace it myself?

After using the balance control to move the sound around, I believe that the center speaker is bad (thanks for the tip!) - I gather this is a problem seen by others, as I found places to buy the exact replacement. Trouble is, how do you get to this speaker to replace it? I'm not up for pulling the instrument panel myself... thoughts anyone?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
After using the balance control to move the sound around, I believe that the center speaker is bad (thanks for the tip!) - I gather this is a problem seen by others, as I found places to buy the exact replacement. Trouble is, how do you get to this speaker to replace it? I'm not up for pulling the instrument panel myself... thoughts anyone?
Couple of good threads here on removing and replacing the speaker - it's not a really difficult task at all...

Basically a couple of bolts to pull the top cubby/drinks holder, then pop out the center grill...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.