Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Day & wine needed

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  mandybabe 
#1 ·
Arggh, i replaced both rear Tyres on my SLK, Pirrelli 245 35 18 only a month ago costing £480 / $770 this morning i ran over a huge screw puncturing the wall of the tyre, after 45 mins of trying to change the wheel (never done it before ever on any car) i managed to get the space saver on, blew it up and the tyre was trying to leave the wheel at 18 psi? It stated 51 psi on the tyre, i managed to drive back home on a flat saver wheel at 10 mph holding up all (yes all) of Englands Rush hour traffic.

The saver looks like its never been used before?

Just to add, it took me 10 mins to get the bloody space saver out!

Am i another useless woman that should grab the nearest man when we get a puncture?

Mand x
ps wine tasting good and i feel loads better typing this

#3 ·
#4 ·
Try getting the space saver back in the trunk. Especially without causing assorted black styrofoam chips flying everywhere. I can see the concept behind having a smaller spare, but the cavity that we have to jam that thing into on the SLKs is just a tad too cramped.

#6 ·
Woolly sorry to hear that, i'm upset that i have to buy another tyre so soon when i could have bought more shoes and matching handbag haha.

Etyu, thanks for the confidence boost, great tip that i hope i don't have to use! Love your car.. oh my yes love your car

Durkatlon, that will have to be a job for the garage tomorrow

#10 ·
Woolly, i was hoping they were cheaper! Thanks for the link it was a good read. I guess its the price we have to pay for driving such superb cars.

Why was the tyre trying to jump off the rim at 18 psi? All of a sudden it just came towards me?

Oh and i just found out that i could have called a merc break down man because i have full mercedes history, last major service was 3 months ago.
More Blossom Hill needed

Mand x

#12 ·
Jumping off the rim? did it fully expand? (yes expand...the whole thing becomes significantly bigger). Did you stop it at 18? or did it just not fill up anymore?

#13 ·
hello cyberdrakon,
i stopped inflating it at 18 psi, all of a sudden the tyre moved and overhung the rim, one second it was inflating symetrical then the tyre moved. the tyre moved away from the rear face. hoping this makes sense but the tyre shot towards me suddenly, i deflated the half inflated tyre and then it sat back right. hope i'm making sense

Mand x

#17 ·
It is quite surprising the way the sidewall expands - I had the same experience when I first bought my SLK. The spare tire may be OK if you drove slowly on it. In any case I would take it to a shop for an inspection. IIRC, the air pump in the trunk turns off by itself when the tire is fully inflated.

Congrats on changing the tire yourself, it takes a fair amount of work even for a 25 year old guy. Enjoy your wine.

#18 ·
I didn't realize the space saver becomes a normal sized fat tire when inflated. Cool pictures Woolly (I know I saw these pictures before when the incident with the flat happened, I had just never put two and two together).

So assuming that you inflated it properly and didn't drive more than 50 miles or whatever, it is possible to deflate the thing and fold the sidewall back onto itself, such that it can be stowed in the trunk cavity? Or is it really more of a one-time use item (in which case I'd be even happier I've never frivolously tried the spare, just to see how it works).

#19 ·
I didn't realize the space saver becomes a normal sized fat tire when inflated. Cool pictures Woolly (I know I saw these pictures before when the incident with the flat happened, I had just never put two and two together).

So assuming that you inflated it properly and didn't drive more than 50 miles or whatever, it is possible to deflate the thing and fold the sidewall back onto itself, such that it can be stowed in the trunk cavity? Or is it really more of a one-time use item (in which case I'd be even happier I've never frivolously tried the spare, just to see how it works).
I can be reused. I inflated the spare to change the tire once (less than 50 miles into owning it). The tire shop deflated it and put it back in the trunk. I didn't seem them do it, so I'm not sure if there are any "tricks."

#23 ·
Hello Don,
Yes got to admit even though i did most of it wrong i managed to get back ok, unfortunately i stopped in a rural area so i couldnt ask anyone for advice, but reading the past comments i'm not sure if the average male on foot could have helped. I'm more confident now of what to do if it happens again, and some great tips too.

I never knew i already had a tyre inflator in the boot, i purchased one and put it next to it.. i shouldn't have admitted that either!

Mand x

#24 ·
Yeah, the Merc Roadside support is quite good, as long as you know the limitations. They will change the tire for you, but - for example - can't source a new tire, and are not supposed to transport the flat either.

I was in the middle of Wales, they showed up in about 30 minutes - but due to miscommunications, they didn't realize I'd already changed the tyre and was back on the road.

Was a local garage under contract, and the guy was more than willing to patch the tyre for me, but unfortunately was through the sidewall..

#32 ·
Well, I had a really rotten day working on the ship from hell, got back to the hotel after a frustrating 12hour day; poured myself a drink, got on to my favored website and was well entertained.
My mood improved … and right away felt guilty; sorry Mandy for your experience!
But you conveyed your experience I a way that was very entertaining. Woolly, and the rest of the guys, rounded out the story … and it made me appreciate live.
I will have a glass of Cabernet with dinner and toast you all :Beer:

#33 ·
Hello Propdr,
Glad this thread cheered you up from a rough day. but hey you have to have rough days so that you can bench mark your good days against! My logic... when i started the thread i was stressed from my little old world, but as the comments progressed i did start to smile, then into laughter..

I even smiled at the garage when the gentleman reminded me that the tyre i was replacing had covered hardly any miles!

Mand x

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.