Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arggh, i replaced both rear Tyres on my SLK, Pirrelli 245 35 18 only a month ago costing £480 / $770 this morning i ran over a huge screw puncturing the wall of the tyre, after 45 mins of trying to change the wheel (never done it before ever on any car) i managed to get the space saver on, blew it up and the tyre was trying to leave the wheel at 18 psi? It stated 51 psi on the tyre, i managed to drive back home on a flat saver wheel at 10 mph holding up all (yes all) of Englands Rush hour traffic.

The saver looks like its never been used before?

Just to add, it took me 10 mins to get the bloody space saver out!

Am i another useless woman that should grab the nearest man when we get a puncture?

Mand x
ps wine tasting good and i feel loads better typing this

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Mand, if it's any consolation,it takes me even longer to get the space-saver back in. I've had two tyres written off in 7000 miles :( Enjoy your vino collapso.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Try getting the space saver back in the trunk. Especially without causing assorted black styrofoam chips flying everywhere. I can see the concept behind having a smaller spare, but the cavity that we have to jam that thing into on the SLKs is just a tad too cramped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woolly sorry to hear that, i'm upset that i have to buy another tyre so soon when i could have bought more shoes and matching handbag haha.

Etyu, thanks for the confidence boost, great tip that i hope i don't have to use! Love your car.. oh my yes love your car

Durkatlon, that will have to be a job for the garage tomorrow

·
Registered
414 Posts
She's going to have to buy a new space saver after running on it flat. I'm not sure I would do that. I think I would chuck the spare and just rely on a tow from AAA if I got a flat.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
You did fine!

Mand, if it's any consolation,it takes me even longer to get the space-saver back in. I've had two tyres written off in 7000 miles :( Enjoy your vino collapso.
LOL - and I think I was there for both of 'em. ;-)

·
17,375 Posts
She's going to have to buy a new space saver after running on it flat. I'm not sure I would do that. I think I would chuck the spare and just rely on a tow from AAA if I got a flat.
The bad news is the space saver tyres are over twice the price of a conventional road tyre, and, allegedly, need replacing after 50 miles(at 51psi).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woolly, i was hoping they were cheaper! Thanks for the link it was a good read. I guess its the price we have to pay for driving such superb cars.

Why was the tyre trying to jump off the rim at 18 psi? All of a sudden it just came towards me?

Oh and i just found out that i could have called a merc break down man because i have full mercedes history, last major service was 3 months ago.
More Blossom Hill needed

Mand x

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Woolly, i was hoping they were cheaper! Thanks for the link it was a good read. I guess its the price we have to pay for driving such superb cars.

Why was the tyre trying to jump off the rim at 18 psi? All of a sudden it just came towards me?

Oh and i just found out that i could have called a merc break down man because i have full mercedes history, last major service was 3 months ago.
More Blossom Hill needed

Mand x
Jumping off the rim? did it fully expand? (yes expand...the whole thing becomes significantly bigger). Did you stop it at 18? or did it just not fill up anymore?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hello cyberdrakon,
i stopped inflating it at 18 psi, all of a sudden the tyre moved and overhung the rim, one second it was inflating symetrical then the tyre moved. the tyre moved away from the rear face. hoping this makes sense but the tyre shot towards me suddenly, i deflated the half inflated tyre and then it sat back right. hope i'm making sense

Mand x

·
17,375 Posts
Jumping off the rim? did it fully expand? (yes expand...the whole thing becomes significantly bigger). Did you stop it at 18? or did it just not fill up anymore?
This pic shows it fully inflated. In the 'stored' deflated state, the side-wall is folded back on itself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh no, i've ruined my saver tyre, i thought the one side was coming off the wheel, i didn't inflate it to that size.

Now i feel stupid, just didnt look right.

Sorry all

Mand x

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
oh no, i've ruined my saver tyre, i thought the one side was coming off the wheel, i didn't inflate it to that size.

Now i feel stupid, just didnt look right.

Sorry all

Mand x
It is quite surprising the way the sidewall expands - I had the same experience when I first bought my SLK. The spare tire may be OK if you drove slowly on it. In any case I would take it to a shop for an inspection. IIRC, the air pump in the trunk turns off by itself when the tire is fully inflated.

Congrats on changing the tire yourself, it takes a fair amount of work even for a 25 year old guy. Enjoy your wine.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
I didn't realize the space saver becomes a normal sized fat tire when inflated. Cool pictures Woolly (I know I saw these pictures before when the incident with the flat happened, I had just never put two and two together).

So assuming that you inflated it properly and didn't drive more than 50 miles or whatever, it is possible to deflate the thing and fold the sidewall back onto itself, such that it can be stowed in the trunk cavity? Or is it really more of a one-time use item (in which case I'd be even happier I've never frivolously tried the spare, just to see how it works).

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I didn't realize the space saver becomes a normal sized fat tire when inflated. Cool pictures Woolly (I know I saw these pictures before when the incident with the flat happened, I had just never put two and two together).

So assuming that you inflated it properly and didn't drive more than 50 miles or whatever, it is possible to deflate the thing and fold the sidewall back onto itself, such that it can be stowed in the trunk cavity? Or is it really more of a one-time use item (in which case I'd be even happier I've never frivolously tried the spare, just to see how it works).
I can be reused. I inflated the spare to change the tire once (less than 50 miles into owning it). The tire shop deflated it and put it back in the trunk. I didn't seem them do it, so I'm not sure if there are any "tricks."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woolly, all i needed was your number, you could have shot down to the Midlands in no time in your 350 and sorted it for me.

Mand x

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.