Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of those OBDII testers (ELM 327) on line and this is what I came up with.

2002 Mercedes SLK230 with 114,000 mile had 2 bad codes one red P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) not sure how bad this is or what it means. Tried clearing the code but came back.

The other was a gray code
P2032 ( I thought it was code P2022 but there is not a code with that number) Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2) again not sure what this is or if it is serious.

This is what read out
[FONT=&quot]TID:$06 CID:$02
- Lean to Rich sensor switch time(calculated)
Max: 25,000
Test result value: 65,535
FAIL

Should I be worried. :confused:
[/FONT]

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Let's see what we're working with here..
P0135
P0135 Heated O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
Per google:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0135
Technical Description Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1) What does that mean? This code refers to the front oxygen sensor on Bank 1. The heated circuit in the oxygen sensor decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The ECM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. It the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0135.

Symptoms You will likely notice poor fuel economy the illumination of the MIL. Causes A code P0135 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: O2 Heater element resistance is high Internal short or open in the heater element O2 heater circuit wiring high resistance open or short to ground in the wiring harness

Possible Solutions Repair short or open or high resistance in wiring harness or harness connectors Replace oxygen sensor (cannot repair open or short that occurs internally to sensor)

Mercedes OBD Error Code Details for P2032
Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Check the gas cap

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine had not completely warmed up could that be the reason for the P0135 code. It was a red code marked important.

I will check gas cap for P2032 but pretty sure it is on tight. I have had that happen on other cars but got light on dash. I have no lights on dash.

Car does have a slight miss when setting at idle sometimes and then sometimes no miss. I was thinking that might be plugs, needing to be changed. Not sure when they were changed if ever. I have only had the car for 2 years but it does have 117,000 on it. Might just change the plugs for fun and something to do when it is raining and I can't play golf.

Thanks for the answers on the codes Chicky. :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,853 Posts
the rubber of the gasket around the gas cap sometimes dries out. just saying

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,679 Posts
My guess is you need to replace both O2 sensors.

I think something got lost in translation here -- I don't think there is an "exhaust gas temperature sensor". Bank 1 sensor 2 sounds like the downstream O2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First question Jeff can i buy just the gasket, if so I will buy one and give that a try after all it is a bit old and I am sure it is dried out.

Efair, I will do a search on O2 sensor and see if that is something I can fix or have to take it to my mechanic.

Thanks for the help guys :Beer:

·
94,853 Posts
i think the gasket is part of the cap so don't know if you can buy one separately

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found this in the link.
I have a Scan Gauge II and noticed that in the pending codes section I would have O2 sensor codes from my 320 while parked and idling or with the engine off. I have not ever had the CEL come on though. What I did was to set the gauge to monitor the O2 voltages and found that while driving the voltages where in the correct ranges. I then checked the pending codes when driving down the road it did not have any registered. If you are seeing the codes in the pending section and you are parked, then you probably are OK.

I might give this a try tomorrow take the car out and drive it and check for codes. R) It is worth a try.
New OME sensors are between $80 and $120 depending on which one it is up stream or down. :butt:

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff's right again

the rubber of the gasket around the gas cap sometimes dries out. just saying
Jeff
I think you might be right about the gas cap, I just noticed that the cover is getting a ring around the gas compartment lid. I am glad I have one on order.

Attachments

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
94,853 Posts
Chicky's post says 'check the gascap'

1 - 17 of 17 Posts