Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full story & clip: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46658874

A former FBI agent who accidentally shot a man while performing a backflip in a Denver bar has avoided jail after agreeing to a plea deal.
Chase Bishop, 30, admitted third-degree assault and was sentenced to two years unsupervised probation.
Bishop was off-duty when he was filmed dropping his gun while dancing last June. As he picked the weapon up it went off.
Video of the incident went viral on social media and led to his arrest.
"We believe that this agreement strikes an appropriate balance of seeking justice for the victim and ensuring that this type of incident does not happen again," District Attorney Beth McCann said in a statement.
The statement added that Bishop was no longer employed by the FBI.
The victim, Thomas Reddington, is still recovering from a severed artery in his lower leg, his lawyer Bill Marlin told Reuters news agency.
He said Mr Reddington was satisfied with the plea deal, adding: "His concern was about Bishop's conduct and his behaviour after the shooting."

Video showed him dancing in a circle of people. A gun falls from his waistband while he does a backflip, and goes off as he picks it up from the floor. Bishop then walks quickly off the dancefloor.

·
Super Moderator
24,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As an FBI agent, I'd expected him to be loaded, just not with booze.

I don't spend time around hand held weapons, but a few things surprise me.
1. His disregard to carrying.
2. That the safety wasn't on (surely safety doesn't get knocked off that easy).
3. Weapons training surely included not picking up a loaded weapon by the trigger.
4. It did not involve Florida in any way (Sarge always says 'only in Florida').

Wonder if a civvy did this that the sentence would be as light.

·
Registered
632 Posts
On a glock the safety is built into the trigger. Assuming that is what he was carrying, the ONLY way to fire it would be to SQUEEZE the trigger (takes a decent amount of effort).

So either:

a) he had a standard glock and picked it up with his finger on the trigger, squeezing hard enough to set it off, in which case he should be facing harsher punishment

b) he had another type if pistol but didnt have the safety on meaning he should face harsher punishment

c) he had a glock modified with a 'hair trigger' (lower pull weight), which is a dumb thing to do considering the trigger IS the safety, and thus should face harsher punishment

All of that aside, anyone with a concealed carry is responsible for maintaining control of their firearm, so he deserves hasher punishment. What idiot does a backflip with a loaded weapon in his waistband? F'ing moron.

·
Registered
434 Posts
As an FBI agent, I'd expected him to be loaded, just not with booze.

I don't spend time around hand held weapons, but a few things surprise me.
1. His disregard to carrying.
2. That the safety wasn't on (surely safety doesn't get knocked off that easy).
3. Weapons training surely included not picking up a loaded weapon by the trigger.
4. It did not involve Florida in any way (Sarge always says 'only in Florida').

Wonder if a civvy did this that the sentence would be as light.

1. My first question would be " What is FBI policy regarding off-duty carry?". Some departments require LEO's to carry at all times, some don't. If he was not required to carry, common sense would suggest not doing so when drinking.

2. Many LEO's now carry striker-fired pistols, many of which rely on a trigger mounted "safety". Prevent the pistol from firing if it is dropped, but doesn't really help if something snags the trigger. May just be that these are the most popular type of pistol being carried today, but they seem to be involved in a large percentage of negligent discharge shootings. I'd never carry one but, as a civilian, get to choose what I carry.

3. Am sure it did but I'm sure it also included not handling them while inebriated. He made a split second decision to grab for the pistol which would not have been totally unreasonable if he had been cold sober, given that it had been dropped on a dance floor.

Still, if the same FBI agent had injured a pedestrian while off duty and driving drunk, do you think it would have been international news?

·
Super Moderator
24,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the manner of the incident made it international.
Certainly, our press go for DD (DUI) and responsible jobs.

Still, it adds a new question for the psychological interview.
Would you, or have you ever, done a backflip whilst carrying a loaded weapon?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts