Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Again,

As I continue to look into the details of the different versions of the SLK that I can find out there, I noticed there was a very discrete difference between the layouts and graphics of the Isntrument Clusters of the cars I've seen. I wanted to know if there is a criteria behind this and what else is there to be seen.

I basically found there are three different instrument clusters in US 55 AMGs, and I realized of this because I noticed the difference between the car I drove last year and a picture of one for sale on the web.

My friends' car is a 2006 and when looking at the Tachometer, I noticed the number 7 on the dial was painted red with a surounding silver line (Reminded me of the numbers painted on the Silver Arrows of the 50's for races like the Targa Florio). Here's a couple of images I found on the web:

Looking at pictures of cars for sale, I also noticed most of the 2008 or earliers out there show a plain silver number 7 on the tach, and the V8 sign below the AMG logo. Here is an example:

Finally, I also saw the newer models out there (2010s and up) have a tach that goes all the way to 8K revs and has all-red numbers near the redline, and has different looking needles. The speedometer in this case goes by 10 mph increments up to 120 (I imagine they figured that from there on you're not so interested in 10's of mph :biglaugh: ). Picture below.

Yet, I've also found at least one 2006 car with this same cluster... which seemed kind of odd.

Anyone has any idea of the reasons behind these differences? I also noticed differences in the Steering wheel designs. I will post a different message to get input on those.

Thanks,
Andres G

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,450 Posts
If you ask more than 2 questions, you will need to have a coupon.

you will also find that those that have the 'amg' in the cluster, it does not light up at night.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Pretty simple, actually - the newer cluster is the Facelifter cluster, and comes on facelifted cars. The older, original cluster was what was fitted on the originals. The "Original V8" cluster is no longer in production, so if you have a IC problem in your car, you get the "new" version regardless of what you started with.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Also, starting w/ '07 "V8" is no longer on the Tach, just ///AMG.

·
Registered
289 Posts
All the soft touch plastics-the dash, doors, etc were originally matte, and scuffed easily. They replaced it with shiny black fairly quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.