Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from the thread on the 2016 SLC 28,000 miles, I have now purchased that car.
Many curiosities to be had...

Why do some SLCs have a shark fin aerial on the boot and some don't. The car purchased has the comand on-line with HK speaker set-up, (so no slouch) but no shark fin attachment...
So back to basics, since I can't find the answer on the web.
When is it needed, why and when isn't it needed and why?

Regards

Seyley

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,804 Posts
As Tim stated...for USA Sirius radio

if sirius was an option...if not, then no shark fin...unless there for future install

·
Super Moderator
24,172 Posts
Following on from the thread on the 2016 SLC 28,000 miles, I have now purchased that car.

Why do some SLCs have a shark fin aerial on the boot and some don't. The car purchased has the comand on-line with HK speaker set-up, (so no slouch) but no shark fin attachment...

Regards

Seyley

Have you asked for a datacard.
As Tim says, in The US that is the Sat.

·
92,804 Posts
This is what the original wart looked like

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious based on the UK spec's that some models of the SLC have them and some don't. I thought that as I had all the add-ons for this car, then it may have come with a shark fin (actually not bothered), but was why it didn't have it on the simple basis of consistency....

·
92,804 Posts
I'm curious based on the UK spec's that some models of the SLC have them and some don't. I thought that as I had all the add-ons for this car, then it may have come with a shark fin (actually not bothered), but was why it didn't have it on the simple basis of consistency....

you purchased that car? no r171 anymore?

Great!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you purchased that car? no r171 anymore?

Great!

please update this

Vehicle: 2010 SLK R171 and include model also
Purchased it, but not in my possession yet....given the dealership a list of things to do before I will accept it. So don't want to jinx it before I get it. Will amend soon after...

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
A LOT of dealers had that thing installed as a cheap option. Customer doesn't want it? No problem. Just live with it there.

They try to upsell sirius to new buyers when they get a cut. Doesn't want sirius, no biggie. An intitial cheap add-on for the dealer than may be a future money maker for them.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Regards

Seyley

MartinaMersea originally answered my question on this as my 2017 model has it, I think I have added teh forum link correctly !!

https://www.slkworld.com/slc-general-discussion/528929-after-4-years-my-250cdi-i-have-bought-amg-slc-43-a-2.html

It is option 386 and is to do with the Telephony Package, but please check MartinaMersea reply

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I think I have found the answer based on this comment found in another posting:
@markuk I have the Shark fin on the boot of my SLK55. It is the Antenna for the Universal Telephony Package Option 386 that is fitted to my car. I notice that you have the same option in your very impressive Datacard list. The DAB Antenna is incorporated in the Windscreen and is the very thin lines that you can see if you look closely at the screen..

The windscreen on the car is covered in a 'web like' set of lines so I will assume that is the reason for no sharks fin.

Thanks to everyone for their constructive feedback..

Seyley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts