Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,302 Posts
it is sold? can we close that for sale thread?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just out of curiosity why do sell these plates? We have no such thing in Canada.
Are you not allowed to have personalized plates in the UK with your name or some other catch phrase on them?

For instance I have seen IAM4U2 or just a name STEVE1 here in Canada
but we can't sell them. If you no longer want to use the plates we turn them into the Department of Transporation and they are cancelled from the registery. If someone else has the exact wording you want on your personalized plates and they are still registered the D/T will just tell us it already exists and we can't have the same one. You are not allowed to trace the plate and try to buy it from them. Only the D/T can cancel a registered plate and put it into someone elses name. The plates do not belong to the vehicle they belong to the person. Unless they are officially turned in to the D/T and cancelled no one else can use that exact combination.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,302 Posts
I'm selling the plate separate to the car.
I meant, was your car sold?
You replied 'yes', so I closed your car for sale thread :D

·
Registered NO SLK LISTED
1,903 Posts
Just out of curiosity why do sell these plates? We have no such thing in Canada.
Are you not allowed to have personalized plates in the UK with your name or some other catch phrase on them?

For instance I have seen IAM4U2 or just a name STEVE1 here in Canada
but we can't sell them. If you no longer want to use the plates we turn them into the Department of Transporation and they are cancelled from the registery. If someone else has the exact wording you want on your personalized plates and they are still registered the D/T will just tell us it already exists and we can't have the same one. You are not allowed to trace the plate and try to buy it from them. Only the D/T can cancel a registered plate and put it into someone elses name. The plates do not belong to the vehicle they belong to the person. Unless they are officially turned in to the D/T and cancelled no one else can use that exact combination.
Number plates are issued effectively in rotation and you can only have what is available. Numbers 1-20, 50 and 99 are held back by the issuing authority and sold at auction. Anything that spells a name is held back and sold at auction. The plates can have values many times the value of the car they are fitted to.

Personally, I don't see the point, but it's a bit of fun so if you can afford it, why not?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.