Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Keep the pics coming !! - you seem to have picked the hottest States at the hottest time of year - why not add NM to the list if you really want to be a masochist :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beating the heat

LOL Woolly, I'm used to 120-130F. These 50-90's are pretty comfy to me. It was kinda hot though as I drove through Phoenix, I think it was 104 but I keep the top up on the interstate routes. When I get to Utah the temps should max in the 70's or 80's (I hope). Heres a pic of a tried and true method for beating the heat :).

Attachments

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I'll try to find the same spot and take a pic. I thought that background looked familiar.

It's one of the scenic parking / overlook sorta spots as you head into Sedona from the east.

Make sure you take 89A north towards Flagstaff - extra points if you can get a picture of your COMAND navi display as it barfs on itself! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
slkrabbit, it looks like ours came from the same litter :).
I'm on my 3rd stop now... in Carson City, NV. The last couple days I was up in the mountains w/o internet, I'll post some pics of Utah later. UK, I did take a pic of the navi while I was on 89, and yes it was spinning. I had to change the map to always orient to the north.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
back to reality

I've finally returned from the roadtrip, 3100 miles and two weeks later. The SLK ran perfectly and was a blast to drive!! I didn't do a very good job of trip reporting but here it is in a nutshell. Started in southern Arizona, first stop Sedona. HWY 89A is a really fun and scenic drive. My car actually thanked me for taking it down that road (really the Command said "Thanks, I needed that"). Next stop Duck Creek, Utah, way up in the mountains and a very beautiful area to visit/drive. Lake Tahoe/Carson City was my next stop. Tahoe is awsome, I highly recommend a visit to that place. Another short drive and we were in Napa, Ca. We bought too much wine, more than would fit in the trunk. My solution was to mail most of my clothes home to make room for the wine. I know that sounds crazy but it was too hot to mail the wine back to AZ and all I wore for most of the trip was shorts and t-shirts- besides the clothes were lighter (cheaper to mail). Four days and a dozen wineries later, we hopped over to San Fran. Fishermans wharf is another must see spot, great seafood and plenty of tourist attractions. This was my gateway to HWY 1, this has to be one of the greatest roads in the US. The hardest thing about this road was deciding between straightening the curves or taking in the scenery. Santa Cruz is where we stopped first. Walked the boardwalk, ate burgers ( I can only eat foods that I can't pronounce for so long) and visited family. We drove to San Luis Obispo after that but regretted passing through Monterey, so we went back north and stayed in Monterey for a few days. Cannery Row, whale watching, Pebble Beach (17 mile Drive) were all awsome. Continuing on, Palm Springs was our next stop. I almost forgot about the heat. I was getting used to the 50 degree lows and 70 highs. Top down only in the morning here. That town is a nice little getaway, but it was our last stop before returning home. It made me think about how I planned the trip- no long drives and brief stays. Every time I left a place, I felt like I wanted to stay longer. I can only vacation for so long though and after being overseas for a full year I was actually ready to get back home. I'm home now and can say that I had the time of my life. I got to make up for lost time with my wife, finally drive my SLK which had been parked in the garage since I bought it and finally gave my wife credit for talking me into buying the SLK instead of the Lotus. I loved every minute of the trip, and recommend that path (especially in a SLK) for anyone that wants to see this part of the country. I took tons of pics and videos but I narrowed them down to a few of my fav's, here they are.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts