Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone any experience of Avon ZV5 tyres ? They get a C for economy and a C for wet grip. I am leaning towards them

·
Registered In between SLK's
14,282 Posts
Hey Jon,

Just put Hankooks on all 4 corners, seem to be pretty good and there not too expensive

Cheers
Has

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They used to make excellent motorbike tyres, and were (if not still are) OEM tyre suppliers for RR, Bentley & Alvis.

Thanks Woolly I was hoping to get a sensible answer from you As for a well know brand I hardly think Avon are unknown do you ? :)

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Jon,

Just put Hankooks on all 4 corners, seem to be pretty good and there not too expensive

Cheers
Has
Looked at Hankooks Didnt like the fact they are not reccomended for use in near freezing temperatures or on snow or ice. The latter doesnt bother me but they are saying if its winter then dont drive on their tyres !!!!!!!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now owned by Cooper in the States. Seem to get some very good write-ups.
Based on this A to G rating for economy and wet grip they outstrip most brands if these ratings are anything to go by.

I dont drive as though the devil is on my boot lid and throwing my car into bends to see how far I can push it is not my style. I find some of the reports in the forum of tyres lasting for 10K or less with "well known" brands doesnt inspire me to pay 200 pounds a corner for a "name" Maybe I should be the one to test these out and report back. :)

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
There are many types of tires, find one that meets your driving style, you weather needs, comfort level, noise level and price point that suits you. If you are a racer and onky drive in dry hot weather you might want a ultra perforance summer tire. If you drive year round as a daily driver and not pushin your car to the max where you have rain, snow and cold weather you would want all season tire. The first one on the rear will get you around 10k miles while the all season around 25k. Now figure out your style.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Jon,

I had until now Yokohama Advan Sport...Great tires, superb handling grip on dry, not so good on wet, but predictable and easy to correct. You have two models, the MO and the non-mo, tried both, no difference that I noticed, apart from a few quid of difference.

I now tried others as I had an incredible rebate on them, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, good grip on dry, not as good as the Yokos but ok, better handling in wet that Yokos, when driving, the Dunlops are very silent although when forced, they tend to screech..The Yokos are silent, no screeching sounds, even when sliding around....

So, if you're not that price sensitive, and you don't drive that much spirited in wet, Yokos are nothing like the others...

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am torn between these two Avons

The ZV5 Good in the wet and good economy on fuel

The ZZ3 Performance Good in wet not so good on fuel economy but match the fronts

Attachments

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing in the price and I suppose the sensible one is the ZV5. Not as nice looking though :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,722 Posts
Hi JonB

I have had Avon tire only once on a Rover 800 & yes they grip like that stuff on a blanket , but the down side is i found them very soft & high on wear , But that was about 10 years ago & things move on .

Cheers

Andy

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you see them (or anything else on the exterior of your car come to that!! ) whilst you're having fun driving it?
I have cams under the wheel arches so I can make sure the wheels are still going round as I drive :rb

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I have cams under the wheel arches so I can make sure the wheels are still going round as I drive :rb
If you look at the following little video, round about 2:52 in and again at 5:37, it will show you that even though the wheels go round, sometime they go round backwards :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts