Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are desirable option packages like the Lighting Package not available on some MB models until well into the model year? If it was something newly developed that might be understandable, but the Lighting Package has been around for a while.....same with the 6 disk CD changer.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Why are desirable option packages like the Lighting Package not available on some MB models until well into the model year? If it was something newly developed that might be understandable, but the Lighting Package has been around for a while.....same with the 6 disk CD changer.
:confused:I can only guess that some optional accessories/packages aren't deal killers for the average buyer. It keeps the price down and makes the vehicle (price) more attractive. The few new SLKs I've seen in the local area are fairly basic in options.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:confused:I can only guess that some optional accessories/packages aren't deal killers for the average buyer. It keeps the price down and makes the vehicle (price) more attractive. The few new SLKs I've seen in the local area are fairly basic in options.
Yep...I believe that is very true for cars on the lots as in-stock units.

It's the "ordered" cars that should have all options available. My dealer says that MB has a severe single sourcing issue and that it is not model specific. IMHO single sourcing is not a good choice under any circumstance. It gives over control of your product to a vendor that might have technical issues or skewed priorities. When I worked for McDonnell Douglas we always had multi sourced parts to avoid problems just like this.............

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Gregg - never understood why MB didn't make BiX standard on all their cars - simply beggers belief that you are going to spend $80k on a car and have to pay extra - or go without - to get decent lighting that's standard on the competition.

That said - wonder what the single sourcing issue here is? I know a number of manufactures are having problems paint sourcing since the problems in Japan, but not aware of anything else - heck, the lights are manufactured by Bosch last time I checked...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.