Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an slk 230 1998 and it worked fine for a few days, but then the D gear did not have a lot of potence and it stopped working...i parked the car in the garage for the night. The next morning i noticed the transmission fluid was a little low so i put 2 quarters of transmission fluid in it. Everything seemed fine, i took it for a quick drive around the block and then all the gears went dead. I pushed the car forward and notice a big transmission fluid spill on the floor, a really big puddle.

The mechanic told me it was losing fluid through the little round shaped black breather valve located on top of the transmission...the side that's closer to the engine. We did replace the part, wich apparently was missing the lower connector (the inner part of the breather)

However this did not solve the problem... now it is dripping oil trough the other hole. This car has no oil meter for the transmission, so i wonder if the excess fluid was the cause of the massive fluid spilling.

So, my question is..

-Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas on what might be going on?

- Does anybody know the exact amount of transmission fluid that this car requires???

I don't want to take it to the mercedes dealership because here in costa rica it's probably going to cost me more than the car itself.

I would really appreciate some help !!
THANKS!!!!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
moving to the r170 general discussion section

The diy section is for already made diys
Someone will respond if they can assist and answer your questions

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
However this did not solve the problem... now it is dripping oil trough the other hole. This car has no oil meter for the transmission, so i wonder if the excess fluid was the cause of the massive fluid spilling.

I would really appreciate some help !!
THANKS!!!!
Hi. Sorry to hear about your troubles. You have to remember that too much tranny fluid can be as harmful to your transmission as too little... Same as engine oil. When it's cold it reads one level and when it warms up it enlarges. Perhaps that's what happened with you. You put too much fluid and it had nowhere to escape from and popped a hose.

I'd advise to invest in the transmission dipstick tool:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-722-6-Transmission-Fluid-Dipstick-Repair-Tool-1220mm-140589152100-/271277141713?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f2960aed1&vxp=mtr
It's not that expensive and you can measure your fluid from time to time.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
That series is renowned for a leaky wiring plug on the right front of the transmission there are a couple of posts on how to fix the problem.
A inexpensive alternative to the MB Transmission dipstick is to go to your nearest motor vehicle recycler and purchase a transmission dipstick of the longest length/type in stock then measure up from the end of the dipstick and mark it with the relevant medasurements (avaliable in a post within this site) then run the transmission up to temperature and check the fluid level.
There is a post that gives cold and hot temps and fluid levels.
This is the method i used when I performed my own DIY repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.