Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So- after twenty odd years of driving stick change cars I am back to an automatic again

I have a whine which I am not where it is coming from but I think it is the back end or transmission as it rises and falls with road speed

First thing in the morning - I guess while it is in choke- or whatever supercharged fuel injection has- when I put it in drive it is all the brakes can do to hold her back while I come out of the drive- is this normal?

My baby has done 70k miles haven't go a workshop manual so what mileage do you change the gearbox transmission fluid or the diff fluid? Just wondering if fluid levels might have something to do with the eagerness to get away n the morning or the whine

Ta

Oh ...... and how do you get underneath a SiLK to check the fluid levels without a pit or a hydraulic ramp? ... With a beer belly?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
It's certainly not normal for the car to feel like the brakes can't *easily* overpower the "creep" you get in an auto box. I'm sure I saw somebody ask you in another thread what your idle speed is, as perhaps it's over-revving at idle which would allow more power to be transferred via the torque converter.

Also, just a sanity check: you're not catching the accelerator by accident when you press the brake pedal?

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,748 Posts
Sorry that no one has responded yet, sometimes it takes awhile for the right expert to help.

I can tell you that mine does the same thing after starting. Maybe not to the extent that yours does. I have to wait a minute or so for the engine to slow down. I've not noticed a whine on mine, but my son's (his is a manual, supercharged) does whine.

Hope this helps a little...

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I think I am idling around 1000 and when I put it in gear with the brakes on it drops to about 750

It's probably fine I am just a worrier and haven't driven an automatic for many years and my old auto's had a lot less torque and power than the Merc

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
135 Posts
I'm new to auto boxes myself, and my car exhibits this tendency when cold too.

However, if you read the owners manual, it says that when the car is cold the engine will rev higher before changing gear, so that the cat warms up more quickly.

I usually find that for the first minute or so of driving the car sounds like it's changing gear at too high revs, but then this stops and it's back to normal

so I wouldn't worry!

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are right- after a while when the engine and transmission oil are all nice and warm she is driving nicely

I did see something about a transmission service every 40k miles? mine has done 70 so maybe getting close to a fluid change

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.