Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been investigating an oil leak from my 1997 R170 auto. At one point I thought it might actually be ATF that was leaking, though now I don't.

But I bought a dipstick and followed the prescribed procedures for measuring the auto box level when hot and when cold.

The result was, when cold the level was above max on the dipstick, and when hot it was half way between min and max.

The dipstick scale implies that it should be near then end of the stick at 20degrees, and near the top at 80degrees.

Which I'm not sure is the right way around, surely it should show less oil when warm and more when cold (as I have got).

So, are my levels ok? Should add, the gearbox is working fine!

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,507 Posts
When auto box is hot and about 70 degrees and you have gone through the gears .
And its in parked .

It should be reading between the two top markers or second one from the top as in where the metal coil end .

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that

but I'm still a bit confused... if that's true I am a little low when warm - but it would appear I'm a little high when cold!

just to reiterate, when cold the level is very nearly reaching the coil spring end.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,507 Posts
First of all meant to say 80degrees .

The gearbox must be fully warm before taking readings
And between the two top marks .

You will get odd readings when its cold disregard them .

Only look take readings when warmed up .

Forget the cold readings . :smile:

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that...

I had done about 5 miles when I did the hot measurement, and been in every gear, which I assume is enough, but I'll do a longer run and check again.

cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.