Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post. I've owned a SLK350 R171 2006 for a few months and love it.

I've just installed an after market radio head unit (Roadnavi s160). Everything was plug and play apart from splicing connector #3 on the canbus connector to get 12v power for the radio antenna unit supplied with the new HU.

HU all works very well and have put the centre console back together but the auto transmission is now stuck in park. I can press the over ride switch under the transmission tunnel (yellow plastic switch) and can drive but once I switch the car off it gets stuck in park again. Repeat process to drive.

I have read about brake light switch under brake pedal but all I've read seems to be for the R170 and even my local merc garage can't find any reference to brake light switch for my car. (R170 part number? A0015458714)

So, what have I done? Is it the power 12v splice? A loose connector since I messed around unplugging and plugging connectors back in?

There are no messages on the instrument panel. There is no "click" when I press the brake pedal.

Help!:frown: Any suggestions please?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Welcome from Madrid....

I would start by looking at the gear selector area to see if you've left something disconnected and to see if something is physically blocking the gear selector movement.

You might want to try a battery reset if not, just in case (remove negative for 30mins , reset window travel and clock) ...

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
Tips:

Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.

also use the 'quote' button :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked the Fuses Ground wires looked for a loose connection/connector? You know the simple stuff by the way welcome from Phoenix
Thanks Berliner Heckflosse.

Can I assume by connecting the 12v power source from the radio antenna unit to the #3 blue/white connector on the canbus was the right thing to do?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you really tapped into CANBUS, you wouldn't get +12V. When you say "CANBUS connector" - what specifically are you talking about?
Hi efair,

I mean the big harness connector that you plug into the back of the original A20 radio unit. The Roadnavi s160 comes with an adaptor harness than connects to the original big plug and converts down to a smaller black power plug which connects to the new HU.

I've used the blue/white #3 wire thats in the original big plug harness

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
Craige, see my post 10 :D (has link) :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
ah so!.........

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,187 Posts
Ah - OK then. I've never touched the back of R171 radio so I can't add anything helpful. Here's what I see in SSM:

- There is a control module N15/5 in the shift lever, with A CAN-C connection via X63/4 (X63/4 is in the right footwell - behind the hood release).
- There is probably an actuator inside N15/5 for unlocking the lever, but I have no idea if you can access it independently.
- You might need someone with advanced diagnostics to check N15/5.
- N15/5 is not connected to the same CAN as the radio.

I presume N15/5 only unlocks the actuator when you're in Park and when you put your foot on the brake. For the life of me, I can't find the switch for "foot on the brake".

Sorry not much help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah - OK then. I've never touched the back of R171 radio so I can't add anything helpful. Here's what I see in SSM:

- There is a control module N15/5 in the shift lever, with A CAN-C connection via X63/4 (X63/4 is in the right footwell - behind the hood release).
- There is probably an actuator inside N15/5 for unlocking the lever, but I have no idea if you can access it independently.
- You might need someone with advanced diagnostics to check N15/5.
- N15/5 is not connected to the same CAN as the radio.

I presume N15/5 only unlocks the actuator when you're in Park and when you put your foot on the brake. For the life of me, I can't find the switch for "foot on the brake".

Sorry not much help.
Thanks efair. Looks like I will have to take the car to an indepedent if I can't diagnose the issue myself. I'll check all connections and see if I can find a clue.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
There's a manual unlock on the shift mechanism ..

You'll need to take the leather boot and shift knob off, followed by the silver surround.
The release is a yellow lever at the back of the shifter

As to why ..? Sounds like either a CAN wiring fault, a short somewhere or you've just been plain unlucky...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.