Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one here guys........... I can't find anything on when or not the auto gearbox / transmission fluid and filter should be changed.
My R170's 16 years old with 83.000 and I can only assume its original
Mike

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just a quick one here guys........... I can't find anything on when or not the auto gearbox / transmission fluid and filter should be changed.
My R170's 16 years old with 83.000 and I can only assume its original
Mike
Here you go:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/43417-transmission-issue-oil-change-given-conflicting-advice-help.html#post455953

At first it was sealed for life but that changed. I think most say every 60-80k. When I flushed mine at 115k it was soooo dirty so I think it's a good idea to have it changed at that interval.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had my fluid and filter changed at approx. 90k miles. Wish I had done it sooner as indy mechanic said it was BLACK! Thankfully I've never had any problems with it and it's still performing great! He said it probably wouldn't hurt to do it again in another 40k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read somewhere that it should be done at 50000 miles ideally. My box was getting sticky, particularly on a cold morning before she had warmed up, and it has been much better since I had the oil and filters changed on my 14yr old 80000mile 230slk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read somewhere that it should be done at 50000 miles ideally. My box was getting sticky, particularly on a cold morning before she had warmed up, and it has been much better since I had the oil and filters changed on my 14yr old 80000mile 230slk.
Well , good point , mines a very similar age and mileage, so I think I will get it done.......... a point worth noteing is the gearbox management module keeps the engine revs up and changes up later (perhaps giving that feeling of "stikyness") until everythings warmed up to get the cats upto temp faster.
NB ) Are the gearbox and torque converter fluid all as one so they are both replaced when doing the change ?
Mike

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Reactions: Mike C

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The link does'nt sem to work ........ but am I correct in saying that wel over half the fluid will be left in the torque converter if I drain the gearbox oil ?
Seems little point in doing it if thats the case ! or better still, how do I drain and refill the said TC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.