Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HERE IS A STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO CHANGE A STOCK AUDIO 10 TO BECKER TRAFFIC PRO SAT SYSTEM IN A SLK320 (R170)

1.Factory original.

2.Insert Radio removal keys making sure they are the correct way round.

3.Keys inserted and ready to pull head unit out.

4.Gently pull keys to outside edges whilst pulling towards you.

5.The head unit is out and ready to be disconnected.

6.Remove Antenna plug.

7. Remove Power Block.

8.Choose your location for placement of the GPS Antenna.
I placed mine next to the A post on the drivers side (RHD)
Then run cable underneath the steering column and up into radio cavity.
Totally concealed and you don't even have to stick the antenna down,
with one of those messy sticky pads which always leave a residue.

9.All wiring in place ready to install.

10.GPS antenna clip.

11.Insert power block.

12.Insert GPS Antenna clip.

13.Attach antenna cable.

14.Re-locate head unit in aperture, ensuring no cables are trapped,
then gently and squarely push into hole where it should click into place.

15.Head unit installed and ready for testing.

16.Awaiting Navigation disc.

17.Loading navigation software.

18.All done and ready to navigate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not see anything about entering the radio code.

Did the radio require one?

It did require a 5 digit code but thought that if you were using this as a guide that the head unit you were installing might be different. All manufacturers using a different system. It was more as a pictorial gudie to show how to fit. Codes for becker are available from Ebay. I have this unit in both Vehicles so even the wife can't moan that she has to learn 2 systems, she's a bit of a technophobe.:Beer:

·
Registered
393 Posts
. . . It was more as a pictorial gudie to show how to fit. . . .
I noticed that you added a GPS antenna "Knob" in your installation. Did you not have one on your trunk lid and/or is that one not compatible with the current crop of GPS systems?

I can understand not mounting a new one there since the wire path would be exceedingly long to accommodate the reverse trunk opening . . .

Thanks,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed that you added a GPS antenna "Knob" in your installation. Did you not have one on your trunk lid and/or is that one not compatible with the current crop of GPS systems?

I can understand not mounting a new one there since the wire path would be exceedingly long to accommodate the reverse trunk opening . . .

Thanks,

By knob do you mean the Antenna, I didn't have one already installed and where I installed seemed logical as shortest run and least amount of trim to remove. I have now sold the 320 and bought a Crossfire. I have installed it in that now and it only took 10 minutes and 1 extra part as th XF has a Fakra aerial not a standard iso 1. I had to go the XF way as any SLK newer than mine was out of budget. Loving the XF thou, as I already now what to expect and where to find the answers

·
Registered
393 Posts
By knob do you mean the Antenna, . . .
I call it the "knob" (upper/middle of picture) because I can't seem to find any place that actually states what it does. Certainly it is an antenna, but as to whether it's for GPS or what . . . ?? I lean toward GPS, mostly because of the similarities to the ones like in your picture . . . But I also have a Antenna/Model matrix document that shows no GPS antenna for the 170. Of course if there is no GPS antenna, then how was the Tele-AID system to work?

With that throught, I'm surprised that your SLK didn't have one since I thought the Tele-AID package was standard on all SLKs. Maybe that was a US model thing. MB included it and then wanted you to subscribe to the service after the first 3/6/12 months they gave you free when buying the car.

What I'm really trying to determine is if that antenna is still usefull? (Since it's alread mounted and such.) Or is it a relic of the analog age, like the cell phone, that the SLKs were seemingly designed in.

Attachments

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
The GPS antenna lives in the dome light console - the 'wart' on your boot is usually for a Sirius sat. radio, and yes, like teleaid, it's a US only thing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just found . . .

Oh - I'm so confused!! :confused::confused::confused:

Well the Russian site thinks it's for GPS.

I must have seen the same info you had Woolly which made me think that the GPS antenna was supposed to be in the top center of the windshield frame. (I haven't been brave enough to take that bit apart though . . . yet . . .)

Of course my main question still is - is the trunk mounted antenna still compatible with anything current? (I.E. Could I mount a Nav system in the car and then just join up that antenna . . . Assuming it is GPS related? Or Sat-Radio, etc.?)

>> Side bar issue - since it's also shown on the schematic I posted . . . Anyone know a name/designation for the connector on the end of the cable out of the antenna base that goes into the amp? (Upper left connector in the the Amp pic.) It looks like a "Mini" Din antenna connector. (Like what's on the antenna cable that mates up with the OEM head unit only smaller.) It has a small, plastic half collar that snaps around it to hold it in place.

Thanks,

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts