Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally drove the new car home - 1000kms omn a fairly deserted motorway, so was able to play around with all the controls and get to grips with the plethora of 'assist' programs in the car. I got the fright of my life though when an alarm went off with a message saying 'Take a break, you are tired' came up! Now, as it happens, I was planning to take a break as I could feel the tell tale symptoms that tiredness was not far away - but how did the car know!!

I gather from the docs that this is Attention Assist… Soon the cars will be making all the decisions!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
We have not had the one in the Merc go off, but the wife had the same system in our 2015 Volvo V60 go off twice, both time she was just coming up on a road side coffee house. In both cases it was the same brand of coffee shop (Tim Hortons, a very popular place in Canada). Me thinks, Tim Hortons paid Volvo to put the locations of their coffee shops into the GPS, and then it sets off the 'pull over and take a rest' alarm, when you are close, so you pull in an buy a coffee. :wink:

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
585 Posts
...can personally testify that it works as claimed.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/safety
ATTENTION ASSIST takes note of over 70 parameters in the first minutes of a drive to get to know your unique driving style. As your journey continues, it can detect certain steering corrections that suggest the onset of drowsiness. It then considers a wide array of other factors, from crosswinds and road smoothness to how often you're interacting with the vehicle's controls and switches. If it all adds up to driver fatigue, ATTENTION ASSIST sounds an alert encouraging you to stop for a rest.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am with Steve - a good money earner for MB! Much like product placement in movies.

The cynic in me goes along with this and it being a regular message every two hours. I wonder how difficult it is to make up a program for the computer using all the parameters that the system claims. Mind you, it might be a software expense as a one off, but once it is installed in every car, the expense is negligible I guess.

My jury is out on the Lane Assist and Steering Assist and I do not like the adjustment for Speed Assist (I prefer the older adjustment, and I cannot get used to the control stalk being under the indicator!) - but Distronic is brilliant!

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
352 Posts
I agree that the first alarm is startling. We got quite a few alarms on one trip which we decided were due to crosswinds and probably the winter tires. I found out later how to switch the system off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried for two years to fake it out, and I failed utterly.

When I was driving at 3:30am and I was starting to space out, it suddenly went off.

So it works perfectly for me - no false alarms, and an alarm when I really needed it

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
i have yet to see a message to take a break. The only reason I know Attention Assist is active is the goofy coffee cup icon.

·
1,296 Posts
Once a month I usually get home around 3am from a poker game with some "friends." Don't know why I would call them friends being that they are trying to relieve me of my hard earned money, except that I've been playing with these guys for over 25 years now. And especially now that it involves a 100 mile drive each way. On those occasions when I've been up early that day, fatigue sets in and the evening drive becomes even more difficult. When that happens I find that distance and speed control are affected and so I'll just set my cruise control to the speed I want.
What's neat about distronic is that I accelerate when I need to pass and just steer the car. I hardly ever have to use the brakes until I get off the highway.
Attention assist has been pretty accurate for the most part. The few times I thought it triggered prematurely was on the winding stretches of the highway.

Reactions: Cliviscus

·
Registered
279 Posts
It pings up every 2 hours. You can turn it off in the settings menu.
So does it just ping off if you've driven for 2 hours without stopping? Or does it actually have some smart way of knowing if you're blearly, maybe you're edging out of your lane more often or something??

Seems a pretty expensive option if all it is is a 2 hour timer.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
So does it just ping off if you've driven for 2 hours without stopping? Or does it actually have some smart way of knowing if you're blearly, maybe you're edging out of your lane more often or something??

Are you confusing the lane keeping system that warns you when you drift out of lane with the attention assist which is standard, and on my car at least, seems to just be a 2 hour driving time warning. Perhaps cars with a better specification than mine have more "intelligence" but in mine it does seem to be a 2 hour timer.

·
235 Posts
In my 2013 Owners Manual (for U.S. cars) starting on page 184 there is a section on Attention Assist. It may be on a different page for other model years and countries, but here is where it is in my 2013 Owners Manual Index "Manual > Driving and parking > Driving systems > ATTENTION ASSIST". There's quite a bit of info in there that should clear up many of the questions on how it works. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Cliviscus

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are you confusing the lane keeping system that warns you when you drift out of lane with the attention assist which is standard, and on my car at least, seems to just be a 2 hour driving time warning. Perhaps cars with a better specification than mine have more "intelligence" but in mine it does seem to be a 2 hour timer.
No, I'm not, I'm wondering if it smartly uses things like lane-control "hits" to decide if you're driving too tired or something like that?

·
1,454 Posts

From my experience it is not a two hour timer. I've haven't seen the alarm yet and I have driven more than two hours.

·
585 Posts
It is *NOT* a two-hour timer. See my prior post (#4 this thread) and its link to the Mercedes safety site.

This feature is a pretty low-cost add on. It uses the sensors already installed for other things like ESP (electronic stability control) and airbag deployment, then correlates your initial driving style with measured deviations, compensating for things like cross-winds and ice, etc.

It has gone off for me several times -- and each time it was right. I'd been driving 12+ hours, it was late, and was getting sleepy.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
It is *NOT* a two-hour timer. See my prior post (#4 this thread) and its link to the Mercedes safety site.

This feature is a pretty low-cost add on. It uses the sensors already installed for other things like ESP (electronic stability control) and airbag deployment, then correlates your initial driving style with measured deviations, compensating for things like cross-winds and ice, etc.

It has gone off for me several times -- and each time it was right. I'd been driving 12+ hours, it was late, and was getting sleepy.
I genuinely don't know if the UK standard fit system is different to the one fitted to US cars, but I absolutely promise you, on mine it comes on every couple of hours, like clockwork. If what the MBUSA safety site is true, if I drive it with shaky hands on purpose it should come on, and it doesn't.

In the UK various bodies recommend a break every 2 hours. Is it possible Mercedes have just set the car to comply with ROSPA recommendations?

The other thing I find surprising is that they are claiming the car has a cross-wind sensor. Does anyone know how that works?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.