Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlanta SLK Crew!

8K views 96 replies 13 participants last post by  dltslk 
#1 ·
My SmartTop has arrived! Let me know when you guys wanna break out the blow torch and install these things????

Joe

#6 ·
I think its just 3?? Me, you & Dave so far! Saturday is best for me, but I can't do the 21st (Wifes Birthday). But the 28th???

Let me know, Joe

Dave...Where are you?
Slow as usual. The 28th works for me!

#12 ·
#13 ·
I'm scheduled for a 7-3 that day but I may be able to swap into the mid shift and be up that way around lunch time. I agree with Bill on the carpet, it's very stiff but I just had someone sit in the passenger seat and hold it back for me, that worked pretty well. I'm still trying to find the Smart top module for my Denali but no luck yet...lol

#14 ·
I'm still trying to find the Smart top module for my Denali but no luck yet...lol
I think step 1 is firing up the cutting torch!!:biglaugh:

That'd be great if you could make it, for the install help and because we haven't seen you in a while!:tu:

#17 ·
Yeah, as to place to meet, we need a big garage or a nice level driveway. Mine is 1/2 full with a GTO that's not moving at the moment as it waits to be sent out for a suspention rebuild. And the slant of our driveway would never see the light of day anywhere it regularly snows, if you know what I mean.

#22 ·
Of course you can come, ya big goof!:)

#26 ·
Keep me posted or PM. If scheduling works out I wouldn't mind putting the cutting torch to a car. Also, I think your list might be short by 1 case of beer!
Boys, You're close but don't bring up the GT vs UGA issue!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

PS Joe, I can probably slide you into this years "Thanksgiving game" if you know what I mean.

#30 ·
Hey, If this ST install goes well and we all survive. I'm thinking Lambo doors next!!!:rb
OK Joe, now you're getting cocky/greedy!! Go take a cold shower!:biglaugh:

#34 ·
For those of you NOT from Atlanta, the above conversation is in reference to a local football competition (the American kind where you use your hands. I know, don't start) between the two largest regional colleges. The University of Georgia (UGA) wears red and black, and the Georgia Institute of Technology (GT) wears blue and gold. UGA concentrates on the humanities, and GT is an engineering school. As with most good rivalries, there is no middle ground.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

#38 ·
Just for planning purposes, my home is just south of Barrett Parkway, about a mile west of I-75, near the Kennesaw National Battlefield. I'll send a PM later with directions. If you want, we can make lunch at the house, in case we need more time for the various projects. I'd be happy to fire up the grill. Or we could meet somewhere first and break stuff later...

#41 ·
Just for planning purposes, my home is just south of Barrett Parkway, about a mile west of I-75, near the Kennesaw National Battlefield. I'll send a PM later with directions. If you want, we can make lunch at the house, in case we need more time for the various projects. I'd be happy to fire up the grill. Or we could meet somewhere first and break stuff later...
DJ,
If ya wanna do the grill thing, I'd be happy to make a grocery store run while the pseudo mechanics get started on the S-Tops.

#47 ·
Joe,

Where do you, Rick & I want to meet up on Sat.? Eija will be there, you guys bringing the better halves?

#50 ·
I'd recommend not splicing the wire. Some have blown fuses by trying to crimp/splice the wire.

Sample shopping/check list:

1. ATO add-a-circuit
2. Gauge 16 or 18 primary wire (red for +) e.g., from RadioShack
3. Bullet connectors (male and female) also available from RadioShack
4. U shape connector (to connect to factory ground) also from RadioShack
5. Crimping tool (borrow)
6. wooden coffee stirrers from StarBucks (free) to use as aid in removing CANBUS cover
7. Spare ATO fuse to use with add-a-circuit (a few spares are supplied with the vehicle)
8. Masking tape

IIRC the ground wire from version 3.22 SmartTop may be long enough to reach the factory ground near the engine hood release lever.

Have fun guys. Drink the beer only AFTER successful install :biglaugh:

#52 ·
Bring it. I have various wire strippers, etc., but no crimping tool. Plenty of tape. I'll pick up a spool of 18 gauge wire as well (I need it to mod Kayte's antenna regardless). I'll see what a bag of the other stuff runs while I'm there.

Anyone going to Starbucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.