Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 SLK 230 has ATF leaks above the ATF oil pan on the passenger side (see attached files). Please let me know what is that and how hard to fix it? Thank you!

Update: Is this one called electrical connector plug?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,713 Posts
Our R170 experts must be recovering after the weekend, hang in there, they will sober up soon!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our R170 experts must be recovering after the weekend, hang in there, they will sober up soon!
Thanks simplySLK, I did a search from this forum and found spacer/electrical connector plug is common problem. Will call dealer today for part to fix soon. It looks like an easy DIY with low cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to pick the electrical connector plug at local Bap/Geon for $10.50 and plan to fix it tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Excellent time to service the transmission too if you haven't done it in awhile. If you only do the electrical plug, have a catch pan under it because you will lose some ATF when you remove the plug.

Reactions: tinySLK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks sokoloff, I replaced the adapter plug and did a partial ATF change with new filter and gasket. After 40K miles from my last partial change, the fluid still looks very good.

Update: No more leakage after 2 days and problem fixed. After cleaning the area from oil and dust, it took me 10 minutes to complete the job. Here are a few tips I want to share:

1. The transmission plug adapter or spacer comes with 13 holes at the end for 13 pins from the transmission to pass through to receive the 13-pin female connector from the harness when it plugged in. The open end of the Spacer is a bayonet lock with tab to turn. The main function of this spacer is to stop the ATF from leaking and to hold the 13-pin female connector in place.

2. Slowly but firmly, turn the tab to counter clockwise until it stops to remove the 13-pin female connector. Pay attention at the positions of the tab and connector before removing the 13-pin female connector from the spacer. This is very important because that is the only position for 13 holes on the spacer matchup with the 13 pins on the transmission when you replace a new one – you don’t want to bend any pin.

3. Insert the 13-pin female connector to the spacer at the same position that it was removed from the old spacer. The bayonet lock will pull it in when you rotate the tab to clockwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is the best post I have seen so far on fixing this problem. I have an '03 SLK230, that leaked about 16 oz of fluid while in storage over the last 5 months. I checked the pan gasket and it isn't leaking. I have no drain plug, so when I do replace the tranny fluid, I will also put in a pan with a drain plug. I have ordered the Dorman 917-505 Transmission Harness Connector/Adapter Plug $7.12 part on Amazon today. I saw somewhere when researching this before about also replacing the part that this one plugs into. Do I need that also? I can't find that part number again. I have checked Pelican Parts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Maybe just the one Dorman part will be good enough? I understand that there is little room to work replacing this. Any other tips on this?? Thank You tinySLK.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,056 Posts
This is the best post I have seen so far on fixing this problem. I have an '03 SLK230, that leaked about 16 oz of fluid while in storage over the last 5 months. I checked the pan gasket and it isn't leaking. I have no drain plug, so when I do replace the tranny fluid, I will also put in a pan with a drain plug. I have ordered the Dorman 917-505 Transmission Harness Connector/Adapter Plug $7.12 part on Amazon today. I saw somewhere when researching this before about also replacing the part that this one plugs into. Do I need that also? I can't find that part number again. I have checked Pelican Parts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Maybe just the one Dorman part will be good enough? I understand that there is little room to work replacing this. Any other tips on this?? Thank You tinySLK.
I just had mine done as a wee job in my local garage because I spotted a leak. There are a few videos on Youtube but if it's not been done before I'd recommend changing the fluid and the filter at the same time. The cause of my leak was the Pilot Bushing (odd name for the connector from the ECU to the transmission) and I noticed it because I looked in the passenger footwell hoping to fit an amplifier before I ventured up north on the Scotland trip. Instead I found ATF that had wicked up the loom from the transmission. Genuine Mercedes Parts (fluid/gasket/filter/sump plug/washers/pilot bushing & a dipstick) cost about £130 and mates rates got the job done for £40. Make sure you clean the pins for the electrical connector with proper contact cleaner (don't use brake cleaner - that stuff will affect insulation and plastics!!) and check the sump for any swarf or metal bits. If you've not got a magnet in the sump I'd recommend getting one and fitting it.

https://youtu.be/_6hA0MrcnUc

https://youtu.be/QvwxeCy8xRQ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.