Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gents -- It's about 11:30 at night, and I just went downstairs to check out my car after I learned (here on the forums, of course) that my mysterious 'lamp burned out' indicator might well have been from the license plate lamps (and it was, thanks to whoever had a similar question a couple years back!)

And then....

I opened the hood, put the key in the car and flipped it to on (but didn't start the engine, the engine remained off the whole time,) and turned the headlights on. There were the following noises from the engine compartment... I never noticed them before because I never ended up late at night, car off but hood open...

- high pitched noise that continued the whole time.
- Klunk. Klunk. Klunk. Changes tempo. After a few minutes, finally stops.

Now, I'm not worried at all... I think that these noises are normal. But since I've never heard them, I'm curious about them. Anyone know what they are?

J

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
In the old days, putting a key in would probably have caused the fuel pump to kick in. Don't know about the new cars in that regard. Haven't heard such noises myself.

D

·
0 Posts
The whir is the electronics compartment ventilation fan and the thump, thump, thump is the coolant circulation pump / duo-valves.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Halloween was more than 2 weeks ago...

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Gotta get those hearing aids. I didn't hear anything when I tried it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.