Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, re asr/bas light on continually.
I have read all forum info (I believe) on this topic.
Wow. A can of worms, so many possible causes. Mine seems to be a little different. I have an asr switch that I can turn off or on. asr/bas warning light on continually, but "golden triangle" light comes on when switch is off. "Triangle" does not come on when switch is on or when brakes are used. Brake lights work. Car runs good (noloss of power noted). Brakes seem to work well. (abs warning light not on) Cruise control works. Top goes up or down.
One very busy experienced mechanic told me if the brakes are good, drive it and come back next week as he
was too busy. I have driven it for three weeks with no
problem (except asr/bas light). Biggest concern I have
is could I suddenly find myself in "limp home" mode.
The next biggest concern is an accurate diagnosis, so that
I do not have to "buy the store" until we discover what is really wrong (Ie: brake switch, sensors, module, battery, etc)
Thanks, Stu.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,
Yes, abs light is on before engine starts. I should add that I am no longer agile enough to pull wheels, replace switch on pedal, etc. My only choice may be to go to a garage. I am trying to avoid the "let's try this" route followed by "then . let's try this" etc.
Thanks for your interest, Stuj

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you have interrupted the power supply for a period of time, like disconnecting the battery, it may just be throwing a code. I just reconnected my battery after doing some wiring, and had the same light. I started the car, turned the steering wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right, and just to be safe repeated it again. I shut off the car, waited about 30 seconds, restarted, and the light went off.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
First, thanks for your interest and response. Yes, I di the wheel check and it worked once, when I first discovered the problem. But it hasn't worked since.
Thanks, again, Stu

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi Dan,
I have heard of "clean sensors on each wheel", but not sensors under hood. Where are they--part of the brake module, etc???
I also have read that when the bas/asr light is on other problems occur such as poor braking, problem with top, brake lights not working, lack of power, going into "limp home mode" cruise control wouldn't work, etc.
I have not observed any of the above..
The suggestion of cleaning sensors sounds good. . I am no longer able to "wrestle" with my wheels, but look forward to cleaning sensors under the hood.
Thanks for your interest and response, Stu

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, re asr/bas warning light,
First, thank you for your interest and replies. In reply to the person who said "I cleaned the whole thing" , I really could not figure out what that meant. But, an update; on both Wednesday and Thursday, the light did not come on until I had driven approximately a mile.
And, today (Friday), . I drove approximately 5 miles before it came on. No mechanical problems (brakes, brake lights, top, cruise control all work well; good power). I am in no rush to do anything, but am inclined to
think I will have the brakelight switch (near pedal) replaced sometime next month unless I hear that the "symptons" do not warrant that repair.. (I lack the agility to do the job myself). One other thing: although a recent purchase, the car has documented mileage of less than 33,000.
thank you, Stu

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
re: asr/bas light Replying to myself
the last entry I made on this topic was that I would pay for a "brake light" switfch, and see if it cured the problem. I wanted to avoid all of the costly remedys that I read about.
But, before I could get it to my local mech, the light went out. Has been out for a week. The only thing I can think of is that the day before the light went out, I washed the wheels
with a strong jet of water from my hose. Maybe it was brake dust? It seems like if it was a faulty switch, module, etc the light would have not gone out.
Thanks,

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have read all the ASR/BAS posts with interest after my 113K mile 1998 SLK posted the ASR light last week. Thanks for all the great tips and tricks! In my case, I don't seem to have a separate BAS light, but my ASR light is in the same physical location on the dash as some photos I saw that had BAS/ASR together. I have had a hard time sorting out ASR issue from BAS issue, but not sure if it make a difference in the corrective action I need to take.
So all that said, I first noticed the ASR light after I had backed up and got a traction triangle due to the wet gravel I was on after a very heavy rain. Not sure when the ASR light actually came on, but I noticed it shortly after I drove off. The car seems to run OK, but the cruise control is now inop, which I have read should be expended with ASR light on.
I did the steering wheel reset method, but the light stayed on. During that procedure, I did notice that starting the car with the break ON, the ASR light stays out until I release the brake. If I start the car with the brake off, the ASR light stays on. If I keep my foot on the brake and the ASR light is off, then the ASR switch works as advertised. After I let off the brake, the ASR switch has no effect. Is all that trying to tell me something?
So staring with the simplest, I ordered a brake switch to see if that take care of it. Any other thoughts or suggestions? All the posts about K40 relay seem to have a lot more issue than I have right now.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ASR Light ON - Fixed

I have read all the ASR/BAS posts with interest after my 113K mile 1998 SLK posted the ASR light last week. Thanks for all the great tips and tricks! In my case, I don't have my separate BAS light on, but my ASR light is on and in the same physical location on the dash as some photos I saw that had BAS/ASR together. I have had a hard time sorting out ASR issue from BAS issue, but not sure if it make a difference in the corrective action I need to take.
So all that said, I first noticed the ASR light after I had backed up and got a traction triangle due to the wet gravel I was on after a very heavy rain. Not sure when the ASR light actually came on, but I noticed it shortly after I drove off. The car seems to run OK, but the cruise control is now inop, which I have read should be expended with ASR light on.
I did the steering wheel reset method, but the light stayed on. During that procedure, I did notice that starting the car with the break ON, the ASR light stays out until I release the brake. If I start the car with the brake off, the ASR light stays on. If I keep my foot on the brake and the ASR light is off, then the ASR switch works as advertised. After I let off the brake, the ASR switch has no effect. Is all that trying to tell me something?
So staring with the simplest, I ordered a brake switch to see if that take care of it. Any other thoughts or suggestions? All the posts about K40 relay seem to have a lot more issue than I have right now.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Update on 5/7/16 - The brake light switch came in and I finally had time to replace it tonight. I followed the procedure at the top of this thread, except I did not disconnect the battery and I rotated the switch out of its mount before I disconnected the two wire plugs. In that tight space it was easier for me to get both hands on the switch and plugs after I took it out. I reattached the plugs before I put the switch back in its mount as well.
Bottom line; ASR light out and cruise control is working again! Thank to previous posts for the solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ASR Light one of several functions affected by Stoplight Switch

I have the same problem (on 1998 SLK230) with the same symptoms of when it illuminates on start vs brake pedal engaged or not.

Ordered and awaiting new stoplight switch.

Wanted to quote other functions affected by the switch:

"The stop lamp switch is a plunger-type momentary contact switch located underneath the dashboard near the top of the brake pedal assembly.

This switch plays an important role in your vehicle, as it has a part in the operation of many systems, not just the brake lamps. Some of the systems on your vehicle that this switch is crucial to are the cruise control, traction control, and shift lever interlock.

If you cannot shift your vehicle out of park, remove the key from the ignition, or if your brake lamps have just stopped working, failure of this switch may be the cause. Get your Mercedes-Benz back on the road with a new stop light switch from ECS Tuning, and enjoy many more years of trouble-free driving."

Hope this helps others troubleshoot.

·
*Registered
1999 SLK230
8 Posts
Hi "all",
re asr/bas light.
Time has passed and I ignored the warning light. About a week ago, the warning light only came on every other time I started the car.
This week, it hasn't come on at all. (no, it hasn't burned out as message is still visible-along with all others-before I start the car).
Does this contribution to the forum have any value? Possibly; if there are no symptoms (brakes, top, trans, etc?), it is ok to ignnore the warning light for a few weeks ??
thanks to all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.