Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easily one of the most complicated and useless bits of design on any Mercedes ever is the R170 spring loaded, lighted, ashtray, coin holder and stuff box that is installed below the buttons in the center console. It is only slightly more insulting than the janky transformer cup holder that expands out of the dash to hold cups of liquid directly above the electronic shifter mechanism.

So in the UK the r170 was offered with a coin holder rather than a cup holder and they can be easily found on ebay and swapped out - the coin holder can easily be modified to have a space for plastic cards and hold a iPhone on it's side, allowing the use to access navigation (bluetooth to stereo) and the music library on the phone... I'll post photos and measurements later..

But that abomination that is the ashtray/coin holder/cubby... what can be done with that nightmare????

PS. It holds like 85 cents, who needs a coin holder for 85 cents???

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,509 Posts
Make sure you post a detailed how-to (start to finish) when you do the swap :tu:

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
43 Posts
I hacked a Formotion analog clock into that spot. The white face goes well with the gauges. Solid metal bezel too; not plastic. Doesn't light up, but at night I can see the digital clock in the dash. I can still stash coins in there, but it's also a handy place for USB flash drives if your radio uses them.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts