Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
Check out " sticky key" on Crossfireforum.org
The steering wheel locking pin. pin
/\ /\ /\ That was gonna be my next suggestion, but I see you seem to have managed to find a decent independent who will have your Car sorted in short order :)

Wishing you good luck and hopefully you'll be on your way soon :)

*Registered
Sold SLK
It looks like a common issue with the cylinder locks on R170 models. I had that too. At first it started 'sticking' occasionally but with a little wiggling I could get my key to turn eventually. The thing is that the problem will only get worse. I think it's just a bad design by MB. It got so bad for me that every time I would get into my car I had to wiggle it to get my car started. So before finding myself in the same situation like you did I took my car to the shop and I had the cylinder lock replaced for around like $300 or $350 can't remember. They ordered a new one from MB, installed it and it was smooth as butter after that. There are videos where folks replaced just the cylinder themselves but I didn't venture. The whole part was $250 at that time from MB and the guy only charged me $100 to get it swapped so it sounded like a deal. So sorry that you got yourself in that situation but I suggest you replace that to avoid any further headaches.

*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
It looks like a common issue with the cylinder locks on R170 models. I had that too. At first it started 'sticking' occasionally but with a little wiggling I could get my key to turn eventually. The thing is that the problem will only get worse. I think it's just a bad design by MB. It got so bad for me that every time I would get into my car I had to wiggle it to get my car started. So before finding myself in the same situation like you did I took my car to the shop and I had the cylinder lock replaced for around like $300 or $350 can't remember. They ordered a new one from MB, installed it and it was smooth as butter after that. There are videos where folks replaced just the cylinder themselves but I didn't venture. The whole part was $250 at that time from MB and the guy only charged me $100 to get it swapped so it sounded like a deal. So sorry that you got yourself in that situation but I suggest you replace that to avoid any further headaches.
Same problem on the Crossfires
Hour or so job
No parts needed
Pull the cyclinder and knock out the pin
wrie-ups and videos on crossfireforum.org

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Well, @Dave2302, I hope @SilverSurfer320 does come back and confirm what the issue was. From what I have gathered there are two quite separate potential issues. One is a worn key/tumbler and the second is the pin issue discussed elsewhere. I may be imagining it but there seems to be a hint of stickiness about my own key. It's more likely to be tumbler wear rather than the pin, and I'm basing this on the age of my car and a suggestion elsewhere that the pin issue was relatively common on the later cars and the Xfires. Anyway I shall be shortly removing my cylinder. I recently bought a really bad copy made in Poland . I could actually have returned it but it did occur to me that I could remove the leaves in the cylinder and there was then no way it could lock up in future. Why have a lock as well as a transponder? And it gets rid of the issue of matching keys. Any reason for not doing this? The leaves came out easily by drilling down from the back of the cylinder BTW.

PS What I call leaves are properly called wafers!

What I call leaves are properly called wafers!
Tumblers ;)

Personally if they are that worn I would simply get Key Blades and new Cylinder from MB PDC based upon the VIN and then those Keys will work with the existing Door, Glovebox and Boot Barrels too ;)

That said I have had good success by stripping them down and dressing the Tumblers with a fine file ;)

I find that hard to believe, because I have recently bought them for a Car older than SLK but I take your word for it ;)

MB have one PDC (Parts Distribution Centre) in each territory, UK is Milton Keynes MB ;)

They and they alone are responsible for supplying Theft Relevant Parts to the Dealerships and Keys / Lock Barrels are created there by accessing a factory Database called FDOK. Regular Dealerships cannot access this Database.

What I find hard to believe is that MB have deleted that info, sounds like it may have been a case of your Dealership couldn't be bothered to go through all the procedures involved ? IDK ?

The Key and Barrel for the old SL that I bought recenty, I phoned Milton Keynes direct, and after myself and the owner jumping through the paperwork hoops they supplied the parts to me via post ;)

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Well I can't speak for the OP, but the red herring I raised hasn't changed. Also checked with a dealer in Germany and in Latvia. Same answer NLA. So I ran a drill down from the back, all the washers and springs are out and the key works a treat of course, with absolutely no sign of stickiness.

* Administrator (Premium Member)
I can鈥檛 get my key to turn anymore and I just want to make it to my storage to get my spare key in hopes that it will make a difference because it is less used.
Is it possible to start with a screwdriver until I figure out the most cost effective way of getting this issue resolved.
What was your outcome?

I won't be holding my breath .......................

41 - 60 of 60 Posts