Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,565 Posts
Have a read here:

Might be something there that you have not tried.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Have a read here:

Might be something there that you have not tried.
Yeah I’ve read that one.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,439 Posts
The Keys Buttons, PCB and Battery have nothing to do with starting / immobiliser.

There is a Transponder Chip Inside the Key, and unless the Key is actually inserted in the correct position it cannot be read by the Transponder Reader Ring on the Ignition Lock, which means even if you take the electrical Ignition Switch off the back of the Steering Lock and use a screwdriver the car will still not start, because Transponder data is what disables the Immobiliser before you get to the Cranking Position (pos 3).

Also if you can't turn the Key even if you did get it going the Steering Column will be locked so you won't be able to drive it !!

Do the job properly, it is the only way, even though it may be inconvenient etc etc etc !!

It is a 20 year old Mercedes, things do go wrong, they do cost money to keep in good fettle ;)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
no, 1st we do not know what slk model n year you have
but the keybob has a chip in it
Ok I’m here at storage and have retrieved my spare fob. So now I am just waiting on my UBER to pick me up and take me back to my car.

Sitting looking at both keys now, my spare seems way more defined than my day to day key. You think I have any hope of it catching?

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
We hope!

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,439 Posts
Fingers are crossed for ya from across the pond ;)

Good luck, I'm finishing up now ;)

Reactions: slk55amgbob

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
No choice but to go to mb or an indy mechanic

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
612 Posts
You're new here. The way the Boss takes care of his cars would make fiat running well. Regarding your key - did you try to spray some light oil in? WD-40 or others? Maybe one of the parts of the lock got stuck and need help to move?
I heard that you should never use wd-40 or an oil in locks
Always go with a powered graphic

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
No choice but to go to mb or an indy mechanic
Ok so I just wanted to update everybody after everyone took time time out of their day to reply to at least try to offer some help. I’m replying to you jbanks because I don’t know how to post in my own post without replying to someone. But my appreciation is for everyone is in this thread. Everyone could’ve easily just said to themselves ‘not my problem’ and passed me up.

So after calling around ALL DAY in the heat. I finally found a mechanic in Newbury Park, CA (where I’m stuck at) that is charging me $189 that includes parts, labor, & key programming if necessary 😎. Will get me squared away first thing 9am tomorrow. How lucky am I?!!!! Locksmiths we’re useless besides one who said they would charge $450. It gets better tho.

So, the mechanic is literally 0.5 miles from where my car is, but I’m all out of AAA tows until the end of October. So after landing a good mechanic, I had to now find a tow to get to where I could basically throw a rock at. Do you know one L-O-C-A-L tow company quoted me $250?!?!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂. So you can imagine what I said to that. The next one wanted $175, and all the rest wanted basically $100. So I called my mechanic back and said

Me: ‘Hey man, do u got a tow guy?

Him: ‘No, just this guy next door to me but he wants like $90 too’.

Me: ‘Look, we’re in arms length of each other, I rather just give you $200 and you can save me getting greased by these robbers with flatbeds’

Him: ‘Let me send my mechanic over to you right now to check out to see if he can just maybe wiggle the key in a way you haven’t yet. If we can just get you on your way we’re not gonna lose any sleep. If my guy can’t get it with your keys at least he’ll see what tools he’ll need to install you brand new’

Boom, so they guy comes within 20mins. Super understanding to my whole situation, but professional. Gives it his all for about 30-40mins but no budge. He checked the battery, did a quick test uninstall of the console to make sure he was familiar just in case, etc etc.
So he says ‘Don’t worry I’ll tell the boss no need for you to come in. There’s nothing I need that requires you to be at the shop, and if there’s something else I discover I need I can just drive the 2-3mins to get it and come back.’

So boom. I dodged the $100 fee as well. 😎
So now I’m at Motel 6 til 9am hoping I don’t bring any bed bugs back with me into my SLK 😄. I had no other choice it was either $100 room or $200 room. I opted for $100 being as though all this gave me know prep or any wiggle room to put off for fixing until I at least made it to my next payday. I will say this Motel 6 is in a really good suburb and the hotel follows suit, so it’s actually little better than halfway decent.

Will touch base again tomorrow to tell everyone how it went. ✌

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
you post by scrolling down to the bottom of any thread and typing in the big white box, then hitting the red post reply button :D

21 - 40 of 60 Posts