Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t get my key to turn anymore and I just want to make it to my storage to get my spare key in hopes that it will make a difference because it is less used.
Is it possible to start with a screwdriver until I figure out the most cost effective way of getting this issue resolved.

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
no, 1st we do not know what slk model n year you have
but the keybob has a chip in it

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t care at this point. I’ll use a screwdriver. I need to at least get to my storage to get to my spare key.
I read everything on the issue here so far I’m regards to the tumbler, assembly, etc etc. I don’t have money like that. I’ve dropped almost 3 grand on this car in last 2-3months and I’ll be d*mned if I let a key issue slow me down after I’ve spent so much to make everything work up til now.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, 1st we do not know what slk model n year you have
but the keybob has a chip in it
So the car is literally non operable? I’m legit stuck somewhere and don’t have Mercedes money at the moment. I’ve been stuck since 9:30pm last night and have no more TRIPLE AAA calls left.

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will notify some of our experts but yes, the keyfobs have a chip

@efair @Sneaky Pete @Dave2302 @M4rCu5
Ok thank you. I will sit and wait for more replies because it’s not like I go anywhere anyways.
It’s really disheartening. I love the 320, but I’ve been through too much with this car these last 3 months and I’m pretty much over it.

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
my 1st slk was a 2002 slk 320 :D

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
Not at all.... all 3 slks were gems

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
you can ask one before they come out
where is your other keyfob? in storage? get a friend or an uber?

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
did u open keyfob at any time? maybe the chip fell out

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you can ask one before they come out
where is your other keyfob? in storage? get a friend or an uber?
Yeah I’m trying to wait on my buddy to wake up because the storage is about $100 Uber ride there and back and I’m not even sure if it will make a difference. It helped about a month ago though when I was starting to have the issue, but now my main is completely not working as opposed to it sometime not working.

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts
if key is on dash and not on steering wheel column, i don't know if locksmiths do those.
the experts will weigh in

·
*Registered
2001 SLK230
268 Posts
This is my key. And it won’t turn anymore
Does your key fob buttons still open and lock the car? Wish there was a simple trick to get the ignition to turn, but these problems seem to happen suddenly.

From the video.

Key all the way in:
Hand Finger Wood Household hardware Nail

Key slightly pulled out: Should be able to turn ignition.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Finger Thumb Tool Nail Household hardware

1 - 20 of 60 Posts