Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the interior refinish threads and I am struggling with the arm rest on the center console. First off I tried using a steamer to remove the sticky original interior paint. This worked excellent on the harder plastic of the console, however it was mot making a dent in the armrest.
After damaging part of the console with regular paint remover (my big mistake) I was hesitant to apply any chemicals to this softer vinyl. I cannot soak this piece as I feel it will fall apart - after steaming the vinyl became "puffy" with sticky paint still intact!
HELP PLEASE - what product/method is safe for this padded armrest and the door panels (if I get over this hump)???

·
Registered
162 Posts
When I did my interior, although I stripped most of the hard plastic, I didn't strip the softer stuff. Just gave a thorough cleaning with soapy water and a wipe with alcohol and sprayed acrylic paint from a color matched spray can straight on to the old paint. The leather I did with Volico using their full package. I would maybe have got away with the acrylic but I wasn't sure how it would perform with seat heating. Acrylic does soften with heat I believe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts