1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a track day for members of The Motor Press Guild in the US. Most of the manufacturers bring a few of their fastest cars and let a bunch of crazy journalists loose on the race track were they get to burn up someone elses tires and brakes. I drove a XKR, R8, 135i, Challenger SRT8, Cobalt SS, Corvette, SLK55, ML63, SL63, C63, and a little Suzuki as fast as they could go. The BMW135i and C63 were the most fun. I entered a 100 mph chicane in the Jag at about 110 and learned that the brakes were useless after about a lap and a half, but car handle pretty good and I made it through the turn. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me sneak my personal SLK300 6-speed on the track. We are shooting Supercars Exposed at Willow Springs soon so I may take some laps there to see how the car handles at speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only drove the SLK55 on the gymkhana course. (I drove all the other cars on the race track) I took several laps drifting the car and then several laps under control. The car was very well balanced. Lots of power for drifting and very precise when I was working on fast lap times. I wish Mercedez delivered a high powered SLK with a manual transmission in the US. Even though the 7-speed auto is a great transmission my SLK300 with a stick is actually more fun to drive. It just needs another 100 HP.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I only drove the SLK55 on the gymkhana course. (I drove all the other cars on the race track) I took several laps drifting the car and then several laps under control. The car was very well balanced. Lots of power for drifting and very precise when I was working on fast lap times. I wish Mercedez delivered a high powered SLK with a manual transmission in the US. Even though the 7-speed auto is a great transmission my SLK300 with a stick is actually more fun to drive. It just needs another 100 HP.

Go grab a '09 350! The new 3.5l is making 300hp vs the 300's 228hp - not quite a 100hp, but the manual is available if you want it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately Mercedes doesn't import manual transmission SLK350s to the US, anymore. American's only want automatic transmission. We're a bunch of Wallys or Wankers, or something? I did drive a SLK350 stick when they first introduced the R171 and liked it a lot. The 09 steering is a big improvement.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Unfortunately Mercedes doesn't import manual transmission SLK350s to the US, anymore. American's only want automatic transmission. We're a bunch of Wallys or Wankers, or something? I did drive a SLK350 stick when they first introduced the R171 and liked it a lot. The 09 steering is a big improvement.
Yeah, for some reason I was thinking you were outside the US - brain fart.. Guess you could wander up north! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.