Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second SLK. I sold my first one to a friend a few years back and missed it, so after quite a search, I’m back with one I bought a few days ago.

Is it possible the original Dunlop tires are still on my car? There is a pamphlet about Dunlop tires with the original papers. I’m not sure how to read the date codes, photo below. If they are that old, I’m not sure I ever want to drive around the block before getting new ones.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Leonardo! I’ll do some tire shopping then and search the forum for recommendations.

Speaking of searching the forum, I’m trying to determine whether a cover or panel is missing from the oil filter side of my engine. To me it looks like something is missing. There is a brass threaded hole that perhaps was to hold down a panel?

Here’s a photo, sorry it isn’t more zoomed in on that side:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had 4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 fitted to ours yesterday, not done many miles yet but they feel fantastic so far.

Kevin

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Tyres = religion, just like Engine Oil brand and change frequency :grin:

I am currently using Avon ZV7's on my SLK 320, C Class (Mels Car), and my W220 S55K.

Our "Heilan" Roads can be Bumpy / Wet / Dry / Snowy / Icy and all year round they perform perfectly, I drive all Cars very hard & fast :wink:

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
12,451 Posts
Plus one for the ZV7s. Not a premium brand but a decent tyre at a sensible price.
Not available in N America (but avon is owned by Cooper).

·
Registered
32 Posts
My choice would be Michelin Pilot Sport. I replaced the Run-Flat Bridgestone Potenzas on my BMW Z4 roadster and noticed a significant improvement in handling and ride quality at once. Then, I stupidly traded it on a BMW M6 coupe monster with worn tires soon in need of replacement. My 2001 SLK230 came with Goodyear Eagles on the front, and Kenda Komet tires (from Taiwan) on the rear. I have not yet tested them via very spirited driving as I have only had the car for two weeks.
David

·
12,451 Posts
My choice would be Michelin Pilot Sport. I replaced the Run-Flat Bridgestone Potenzas on my BMW Z4 roadster and noticed a significant improvement in handling and ride quality at once. Then, I stupidly traded it on a BMW M6 coupe monster with worn tires soon in need of replacement. My 2001 SLK230 came with Goodyear Eagles on the front, and Kenda Komet tires (from Taiwan) on the rear. I have not yet tested them via very spirited driving as I have only had the car for two weeks.
David

AND if we ever get above 7o on a consistent basis :wink:

edit--restored quote in full :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
AND if we ever get above 7o on a consistent basis :wink:
I see that you edited my comments. It is the tires currently on my car which I have yet to test. The Michelins which I got for the BMW Z4 were wonderful in every respect, as well as being reasonably priced, with the 70.00 rebate as well. I agree that this spring weather in Ontario has been terrible. I have a choice of two convertibles in the garage but am obliged to use the Honda Civic instead ! grrrrrrrrrrr
David

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
Agree on the Michelin PS4S, they are amazing! I ran the PSS in the past and these are even better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks, Leonardo! I’ll do some tire shopping then and search the forum for recommendations.

Speaking of searching the forum, I’m trying to determine whether a cover or panel is missing from the oil filter side of my engine. To me it looks like something is missing. There is a brass threaded hole that perhaps was to hold down a panel?

Here’s a photo, sorry it isn’t more zoomed in on that side:

Yes, two plastic covers are missing (both fit on the "oil-filter" side as you expect).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts