Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at some old threads on Vavona or chrome interiors many posters prefer the chrome interiors because they look more 'sporty'. It started me thinking, as SLK owners and drivers do you consider them to be sports cars or touring roadsters? I'm sure many of you have owned and driven sports cars in the past, I used to have a Z3 which was lighter and more nimble but lacked the power of the SLK. I'm sure the SLK couldn't beat a Miata or Boxster in a cone course but I doubt they could keep up with an SLK on the open road. Is a Corvette really a sports car? Just curious. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
I had a z3 too and find the slk can out handle it hands down.
I find my 55 has virtually no body roll and stacks of power but I think it is more of a road going sports car than a track focused car like Porsche’s.
I find the mx5 to be a bit softer like the z3 but the imports are often a lot harder (for the smooth Japanese roads) and are more track focused.
In fact any Japanese import seems to have very stiff suspension, I’ve had a few and was only saying to my mate yesterday that I have heard some people say the slk sports suspension is hard so I bet they have never been in a jap import.
I think an slk with sports suspension pack gives the happy medium between fast road and track day use, especially with the 5.5 v8.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I think an slk with sports suspension pack gives the happy medium between fast road and track day use, especially with the 5.5 v8.
I agree. My 350 has the sport suspension and speed-sensitive steering. Yes, its a bit harsh especially with the Pirelli p-zero rollers, but it goes around corners like a slot car. While its lacking a 5.5 its still impressive.

I would call it a weekender. Not enough luggage space to be a gran touring car.

If you ever watch a girl in a short skirt get in or out of an SLK, you'll call it a sport car.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Of course they are...

Small, fast, excellent handling, two seats, convertible, small boot, driven just to drive....

so....

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

If one is to quibble about anything, it might be all the comforts in the cars. Stereo surround sound, adjustable seats, GPS, etc. Is it still a sports car? But ask yourself, if a pick-up truck has all these same comforts, is it still a pick-up truck?

I see the SL cars as grand tourers (NOT sports cars). SLKs are sports cars. If you can put a baby behind the seats (or even think you can), it isn't a sports car.

If you ever think of such a car as a workable family car, it isn't a sports car.

I offer as proof that the SLK is a sports car from a person who knows the difference.... My Lady.

La Bête is:
-Too low to the ground to get comfortably in and out of.
-Too scarily to ride-in when I am driving (note this is not true when she is driving).
-She can't get all the groceries in the car.
-It messes up her hair.
-Takes the long way to her destination whenever she drives.
-Loves Hoss (her GLK 350) because it isn't a sports car but drives almost like one.
-Offers Hoss for me to drive when it is snowing (of course, I reject such an offer. After all, sports cars are practical daily drivers to me).

The things she hasn't said about La Bête which she did say all the time about the Jags:
-I can't put the top up by herself.
-It is so hard to turn the steering wheel.

There is a difference between muscle cars and sports cars. A Corvette is a muscle car. I don't know if the boot is large enough to qualify as grand tourer.

Just my thoughts R)

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Always chuckle when the boot/trunk space comes into the conversation.

Having a bike background and a taste for sports/tourers (VFRs)
ANY space that can hold a packet of fags and a lighter
without making me worry that I just crushed the goodies
is good in my book.

Label it anything that you/they like.
It's nippy,
it handles,
it carries the shopping,
it looks good,
it's comfortable short, or long haul,
the roof is metal,
the roof comes off and doesn't need leaving at home.

Most importantly, it makes me smile (engine on/off, roof up/down) & I can afford it.

That's all I need to know.

It's a happy car!

·
6007.us
2,615 Posts
For me the SLK is more of a local cruiser particularly with no provision for carrying a road tire if you have a flat and limited luggage space with the top down.

For the track, a Chrysler Crossfire Coupe (lighter) with Posi. R170 chassis but 18 &19" wheels and has space for a road wheel other than the passenger's lap.

And for road trips now have a Cadillac CTS Coupe with a fold-down rear seat that can accommodate A Lot of luggage. Not a 'vert but does have a roof vent. The CTS coupe is the closest thing to a Grand Prix or Riviera that the new GM produces.

Must admit the CTS is a very confused car (1/2" stagger on the wheels serves no purpose nor does the posi and 3.73 gear and Bluetooth that does not stream audio is not much good.). Am slowly fixing most of this and turning it into the GT car it could be.

·
Premium Member
14,800 Posts
It,s a Mid Life Crisis Car......:grin::grin:

Most Popular Mid-Life Crisis Cars

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.
Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat.
Ford Mustang GT Convertible.
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hardrock.
Lexus RC F.
Mercedes-Benz SLK.
Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Porsche Boxster/Cayman. Summary.

Mercedes-Benz SLK
Who hasn’t dreamed of owning a Mercedes-Benz SL? Sleek, sophisticated and suave, the Mercedes SL gets the job done—no problem. Thing is, Benz be charging huge for the svelte two-seater. Still, that doesn’t mean you have to pass on getting a smooth two-seat folding hardtop roadster with a three pointed star in its grille. This is why God directed the product planners at MBZ to craft the SLK. Looking every bit like a slightly smaller version of the SL (which in fact, it is) the SLK lets you have your SL and afford to drive it to. Pricing starts at $43,950.

https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/most-popular-mid-life-crisis-cars-127167/

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I also consider the SLK as a grand touring sports car, it is great for long trips, very good on mountain roads and when push will do most of what I could do with my Honda S2000, just in a different way. My S2000 was a raw sports car, great short throw 6 speed, no traction control system, great feed back from the tires and chassis.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I would consider my SLK55 AMG as a touring car that outperforms almost all sports cars. To me, it takes something like a Caterham or Cobra clone to qualify as a sports car. The SLK has electric windows instead of side curtains, an automatic transmission instead of a manual, and controls that do not require high levels of physical strength.There's even a radio and a heater. Traditionally, sports cars required strength, skill at double-clutching, and an inclination to regard unyielding suspensions as "gratifyingly stiff."

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would say it's as much of a sports car as I want.
I don't want 0-60 in 1 second, I don't want ludicrous top speed, I don't want nowhere to put anything. I want refined 'sporty' comfort and performance - my SLK ticks all those boxes.

Also, I don't consider this car (172) a mid life crisis car, at least not mine anyway, that would be the 170 I had when I was in my mid/late 40's. Now I'm pushing 60 this is what I want and I'm happy with it (oh, and I can afford it). I thought I was happy with ten years of comfy slippers Jaguar style motoring but there was always something missing. This one beats my 3 Jags hands down.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think the 43 and the 55 are sport grand tourers, and the 350/300/280/250etc are grand tourers, with the R172 350's 300ish horsepower pushing it closer to sport grand tourer territory.

They're nearly as fast as the older boxters/caymans/etc, but they dont have th e personality of a 'true' sports car IMO, and that isnt a bad thing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It,s a Mid Life Crisis Car......:grin::grin:

Most Popular Mid-Life Crisis Cars

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.
Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat.
Ford Mustang GT Convertible.
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hardrock.
Lexus RC F.
Mercedes-Benz SLK.
Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Porsche Boxster/Cayman.
Defo, my Mrs calls my SLK my MLCC (mid life crisis car) and she's probably right. Do I care? Nope!

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Anything American is either a muscle car or it isn't ........ sorry but 'sports' they don't do.

A Triumph Spitfire was a sports car, an MX5 is a sports car, a Lotuse Exige or Elise or an Alfa 4C is a sports car. Light nimble, enough power to get you into trouble and lots of it. ( well the Spitfire only did that by tucking up the rear wheels and letting go )

The 170 series was probably a sports car but the 171 moved on to being a grand tourer despite the gorgeous nose.

My 420 hp R171 55 AMG is most definitely a Convertible Grand Tourer. Sure it'll blow the hubcaps off a lot of stuff and it sounds great but it's big, heavy and way, way too comfortable to be a true sports car. Electric heated memory seats with adjustable lumbar support, airscarf and a cockpit I can make a phone call from at 70mph with the roof down ...... this is not a sports car.

But I love it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looking at some old threads on Vavona or chrome interiors many posters prefer the chrome interiors because they look more 'sporty'. It started me thinking, as SLK owners and drivers do you consider them to be sports cars or touring roadsters? I'm sure many of you have owned and driven sports cars in the past, I used to have a Z3 which was lighter and more nimble but lacked the power of the SLK. I'm sure the SLK couldn't beat a Miata or Boxster in a cone course but I doubt they could keep up with an SLK on the open road. Is a Corvette really a sports car? Just curious. Opinions?
I would classify the SLK as a compact GT or Luxury Roadster. Sports car? I would say not 100%. Very close but not the same as say my F355, Corvette, Viper or Cayman S was. Price being put aside of course. The SLK even the base SLK350's I have test driven offer way too much to be a 100% sports car. Either way I want one. I need a new weekend car. Not as harsh as my previous cars but not as soft as my SL's I have had.

·
Super Moderator
11,483 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts