Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are green filters any good? Would I risk damage my MA sensor? I want the exhaust to be a little louder without modifying the exhaust.

I had KN on my 996 TT and due to short distance between the filter and and Airflow sensor, I had to replace my Airflow sensor. I have replaced it with paper filter and no problem since.

With K&N I could hear the engine and exhaust more.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Have had the Green Filters for two years....no issues. Have had K&Ns on other cars and have had problems...go figure.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Green filter on the Clk500 Cab. and K&N filter on Slk55 with no issues on both filters. I has used K&N filter on most of my cars for the last 15 yrs. with no issues at all.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Are green filters any good? Would I risk damage my MA sensor? I want the exhaust to be a little louder without modifying the exhaust.

I had KN on my 996 TT and due to short distance between the filter and and Airflow sensor, I had to replace my Airflow sensor. I have replaced it with paper filter and no problem since.

With K&N I could hear the engine and exhaust more.
It's basically green oil vs red oil. There maybe be some differences between the two but you probably wouldn't notice it from the driver's seat. I think more people should be asking oil vs dry filters. I have aFe on my V6-no problems and very easy to clean.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have had the Green Filters for two years....no issues. Have had K&Ns on other cars and have had problems...go figure.
From talking to Green, their oil is different, less damaging to MAF. I will let it dry for 2-3 days before installing them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
fwiw, i kept blowing the maf sensor with greens in. long story short, the maf would blow every 3-5k miles. mb replaced the maf sensor, and later the conductor plate. the maf sensor would still blow. finally mb looked in the airboxes, found the greens and replaced them with stock. (like i said long story on greens got there and that isnt rly the point of the story). in total, i went through 4 maf sensors. after replacement back to stock, i have had 0 issues.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Go with original filters, except use ref MANN C3689 instead of the stock MANN C3698, the first ones are 8mm lower, increase dramatically air-flow, (same happens to oil-based filters due their thinner form factor) and will not contaminate your intake...

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
From talking to Green, their oil is different, less damaging to MAF. I will let it dry for 2-3 days before installing them.
The only difference is really the dye, let it sit over absorbent paper, or else, blow the filter with compressed air...Better, don't use them...

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
One against the other...

and a comparison on the airbox

Stock vs. thin

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fromero, I'm not sure about your conclusion that 3689 is better than 3698.
From the pictures 3698 has a much bigger surface which should give a better air flow...

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
fwiw, i kept blowing the maf sensor with greens in. long story short, the maf would blow every 3-5k miles. mb replaced the maf sensor, and later the conductor plate. the maf sensor would still blow. finally mb looked in the airboxes, found the greens and replaced them with stock. (like i said long story on greens got there and that isnt rly the point of the story). in total, i went through 4 maf sensors. after replacement back to stock, i have had 0 issues.
OK.....so why don't I blow MAF's?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,078 Posts
i had greens originally on my 1 week old 09 slk 55 amg back in may 08. check engine light. took it in to dealer and needed a new maf as the greens had disintegrated. might have been a bad batch as noted in another thread on our forum. i went back to oems since

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Fromero, I'm not sure about your conclusion that 3689 is better than 3698.
From the pictures 3698 has a much bigger surface which should give a better air flow...
Surface? That would be if it's flat, in its form there is practically no difference, as a matter of fact the filter I indicate is for another AMG box...

Less restriction = better flow, and if we get good enough fitration...all is good, had them for some time now, and felt better reving as the motor "breathes" better, but to each his own..

·
Registered
127 Posts
OK.....so why don't I blow MAF's?
no idea why you don't and i did multiple times. i saw the greens that were in my car, they looked intact and perfectly good. so it didn't appear to be the shotty construction that some people have discussed. all i know is that i have 5k on the car after mb replaced the greens and i have not blown one maf yet. my driving isnt any different either.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
SSDD, the issue is with the oil, not the filter...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.