*I'm very close to buying a 55 AMG, but have not even driven one yet J
*It will be a car that both myself and the other half
will be driving. Does anyone here share their AMG with the missus? If
so, do they have any trouble with driving it? Especially in the wet
and icy conditions? She currently drives a C-Class sport, so I don't
think she should have any trouble, she is a very sensible driver so
won't have a heavy right foot (she is only 5" 4 anyway so probably
won't reach the floor).
*Also, I would love one in white, but currently I can't see one for sale in the UK. So, it's a tossup between black or
silver. I love black cars, my current car is a Impreza STI in black,
and before that I had a black BMW Z3, and after a good clean they look
stunning. I was hoping to get your guys opinions on which colour to
go for? I'm not usually a silver guy, coz it seems every single car
on the road is silver, but, being a light colour the nice AMG features
really stand out.
*Lastly, if anyone happens to
know of an AMG up for grabs near the south coast for under £18K, please
let me know

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,305 Posts
Mike,

Have I welcomed you yet? If not, here goes!

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your vehicle (model and year)(when u get one!) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.

If you wish to become PM (Private Message)- capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under quick links when you leave.

Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I think you will find we have a lot of lady members who are equally at home behind the wheel of all the range of SLK's . If your wife drives a powerful car already I am sure she will be more than happy driving an SLK 55. Like all powerful cars, its the drivers ability that controls how the car performs. As for ice and snow. I doubt if most of us are over keen taking the SLK out in those conditions although some do and get on OK. Personally mine stays off the road in snow mainly due to avoiding the idiots who could hit me. Most UK drivers are clueless in snow conditions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, details updated.

By the way, I hope any ladies don't take my question the wrong way, I'm not saying men are better drivers :)

So, silver or black? After seeing yours Jeff I'm leaning towards black...

·
98,305 Posts
Thank you, but as others can attest, keeping a black car clean takes devotion and being a little bit anal. (i clean it twice a day!)

·
98,305 Posts
i use brillo brand (steel wool) soap pads!!

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
124 Posts
My other half drives mine with no problems. At cruising speeds, the car really is as docile as a 1.0L supermini.
Some of my previous cars was black, but decided to go for silver for the AMG. Dosen't show the dirt up as much but still stunning once cleaned.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Anything but black or sliver! ;-) My retired school teacher mom drives mine when she is bored and wants to drive a convertible - with no problems so far! ;-)

She actually prefers the '350, but only because she says the seats are more comfortable - personally, I think she just likes the black car! :p

·
Registered
542 Posts
HA I actually read your title as, "Are AMG Women (women who drive AMG's) friendly." I was buckling in for an interesting conversation :D

Unless driven aggressively the 55 is a very easy car to drive once you get use to the shift points. I personally struggle to keep rear tires on my car so it's generally always crap in the wet. But when I've got fresh rubber I love throwing my rain glasses on and pretending I'm Lewis Hamilton @ Silverstone. Then again anytime it rains I'm searching for the dry line anyway.

:D

BTW I've never met any women who drive AMG's so I can't comment on your original title :bannana:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi Mike

I think the only thing could be if you have left the car in sport mode & not told the other half that could catch her out , as sport mode uses first gear & C mode only starts in 2rd gear :))))) . Just make sure your seat position is on number one & her is on number two just toooo make sure she know who car it is :) . Last thing could have problems getting your keys back & you couls be driving the C-class :td: .

All the best

Andy

p.s. get a black one you who know they are faster:rb even stood still .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.

Sounds like she should be fine then.

I think i will go for black as all the products in my garage are designed for dark colours. Is the black metallic?

Does the paddle shift work well? I've never had the pleasure. I am slightly worried i will miss the control of a manual, I certainly won't be taking corners at the speeds I could with my impreza

·
98,305 Posts
most blacks are NOT metallic or designo

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
My wife enjoys driving the SLK55 but since I reclaimed bragging rights for "quickest car in the family" I sense a little attitude until the top drops and everyone is all smiles....:)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi Mike

Get some good tires mate & this car corners very well , Changes direction like a good-un , Remember its a very low car , but remember the front lower bumper is VERY VERY LOW keep well away from kerbs , I kerbed mine on the first ride home & spit the lower bumper :mad: :mad: . Forget the manual gearbox you need both hands on the steering wheel , Just drop it in sport mode & watch your smile in the mirror . yea the paddles work well but you only have go up the gears as the box will drop back down itself , unless up want the drop a gear or two :biglaugh: . Coming from a impreza i can see the Xpipe question coming very soon :rb.

Enjoy

Andy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am a woman who owns an SLK 55 AMG. I love it! Very fun car to drive. I thought I was going to get a 350, but once I test drove the AMG, I knew that's what I wanted. It is just FUN!!! Once in a while, I'll even let my husband drive it, although I think it has been less than 10 times for him! I say go for it, your wife will love it and enjoy driving it! :rb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really can't wait to get one, just a case if waiting for the right one to come onto the market. I love my music so would prefer the Harman upgrade, plus sat nav is a must too.

Is there any other must have optional upgrades?

Yeah, already know about the X-pipe, that will be the first mod on the list :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.