Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i've proposed, how about we start a regular second saturday of every even month meet? This will make it easier for all of us to plan around. this'll be another Northerly drive, santa monica, malibu, ventura, etcetera.

post here to discuss!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm up for it, as always! :)

I also loved the Malibu run, very exciting! And there's tons of roads over there!

Here's a couple more ideas: Angel's Crest (should be open by then), or Lake Arrowhead / Big Bear, if anyone knows any nice b-roads around there. Snow should have cleared by then as well.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I like the idea of scheduled drives every 2 months. April 10 sounds great for starters.

Open to every SoCal fun road, but I am very fond of Malibu drives. Would like to suggest Stunt Road and Piuma Canyon road if you didn't take them on the last Malibu drive. They are lightly trafficked, have very few driveways, and nice combos of tight turns, sweeper, some straights and awesome views. The top of Stunt road is not that far from that oneway Tuna Canyon trek I understand was liked on the last Malibu drive.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Open to every SoCal fun road, but I am very fond of Malibu drives. Would like to suggest Stunt Road and Piuma Canyon road if you didn't take them on the last Malibu drive. They are lightly trafficked, have very few driveways, and nice combos of tight turns, sweeper, some straights and awesome views. The top of Stunt road is not that far from that oneway Tuna Canyon trek I understand was liked on the last Malibu drive.
Yeah I took them on that circle on our last malibu drive. Went up Malibu Canyon Rd, to Piuma, down Saddlepeak and to Tuna Canyon. At the top of Saddlepeak you can turn left at that overlook and go down Stunt (very fun). There are a lot of fun roads up there with little traffic. Just have to watch out for the occasional stopped cop.

BTW, here is a great video of Tanner Foust drifting up the Snake on Mulholland, a section of the road we all went up last time.

Anyway I'm interested in the April drive. R)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Here is my suggestion for a Malibu drive for April 10 or another time (I hope the link works and my google map works!)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=3025+olympic+blvd+90404&daddr=Mulholland+Hwy+to:Agoura+Rd+to:2813+Cornell+Road,+Agoura+Hills,+CA+91301+(Paramount+Ranch)+to:stunt+road+and+saddle+peak+road+to:Tuna+Canyon+Rd+to:3025+olympic+blvd+90404&geocode=FZlEBwId1Gfw-Cnd4oeEFbvCgDEkP38o_TtZIg;FaraBwIdAkrp-A;FdoBCQIdQFTr-A;FR-HCAIdDwDs-CE3h_IWKBWHeSnz2ZfObyHogDGO0urqJ9Xuqg;FaAICAIdZZft-CnBEJviIqDCgDGF9p-fn6HUeg;FdCPBwIdoFru-A;FZlEBwId1Gfw-Cnd4oeEFbvCgDEkP38o_TtZIg&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=34.081668,-118.694916&sspn=0.234875,0.673599&ie=UTF8&z=11

It has some roads in common with the last malibu drive: Parts of PCH, Parts of Mulholland and the FAMOUS one way Tuna Canyon.

It has some new scenic twisties:

Mulholland Highway heading away from PCH and Leo Carrillo Beach
Highway 23 from the Santa Monica Mountain ridge line into Westlake Village (I laugh everytime I drive it...it is the most twisty 2 lane road I have been on...who decided to build this back in the day??)
Cornell Road back onto Mulholland (and past Paramount Ranch and Reagan Ranch for a little historic eye candy on the drive)
Muholland east of Malibu canyon/las virgenes and up Stunt Road to the Santa Monica Mountains ridge. (very scenic and some great turns and straights...but dont speed too much on Mulholland in this area...too many cops)

Open to other alternates of course, and different meet/end points. But I thought this could start the discussion for another Malibu drive.

Reactions: Bleen

·
19,407 Posts
Here is my suggestion for a Malibu drive for April 10 or another time (I hope the link works and my google map works!)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=3025+olympic+blvd+90404&daddr=Mulholland+Hwy+to:Agoura+Rd+to:2813+Cornell+Road,+Agoura+Hills,+CA+91301+(Paramount+Ranch)+to:stunt+road+and+saddle+peak+road+to:Tuna+Canyon+Rd+to:3025+olympic+blvd+90404&geocode=FZlEBwId1Gfw-Cnd4oeEFbvCgDEkP38o_TtZIg;FaraBwIdAkrp-A;FdoBCQIdQFTr-A;FR-HCAIdDwDs-CE3h_IWKBWHeSnz2ZfObyHogDGO0urqJ9Xuqg;FaAICAIdZZft-CnBEJviIqDCgDGF9p-fn6HUeg;FdCPBwIdoFru-A;FZlEBwId1Gfw-Cnd4oeEFbvCgDEkP38o_TtZIg&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=34.081668,-118.694916&sspn=0.234875,0.673599&ie=UTF8&z=11

It has some roads in common with the last malibu drive: Parts of PCH, Parts of Mulholland and the FAMOUS one way Tuna Canyon.

It has some new scenic twisties:

Mulholland Highway heading away from PCH and Leo Carrillo Beach
Highway 23 from the Santa Monica Mountain ridge line into Westlake Village (I laugh everytime I drive it...it is the most twisty 2 lane road I have been on...who decided to build this back in the day??)
Cornell Road back onto Mulholland (and past Paramount Ranch and Reagan Ranch for a little historic eye candy on the drive)
Muholland east of Malibu canyon/las virgenes and up Stunt Road to the Santa Monica Mountains ridge. (very scenic and some great turns and straights...but dont speed too much on Mulholland in this area...too many cops)

Open to other alternates of course, and different meet/end points. But I thought this could start the discussion for another Malibu drive.
Looks good. I'll just follow everyone's lead.

·
19,407 Posts
Is this Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at 3150 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405 a good way-point to meet (for those who know the area well)?

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I SO want to go on this run. It's been too long since I have seen the SoCal crew. Unfortunately, I have to weigh this versus a Pebble Beach run for the US Open in June (or an earleir trip I received a private invite for to play the course pristine and as setup for the pros). Also have a new ride to buy. The SLK is owned, but the ML is on an ending lease. May need some scratch for a down payment on a nice new ride for the wife and Danes.

Choices...decisions; I clearly need to go buy another lottery ticket. :rockon:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Is this Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at 3150 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405 a good way-point to meet (for those who know the area well)?
Yes that is a good weekend meet point. It isn't far from getting on/off the 10 freeway. It is a fussy parking lot Monday to Friday (charges for parking), but that won't affect us on the weekend.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am out of town with limited computer access Friday through Tuesday, so I will be slow to respond to posts during that time.

Things to think about:

Start time? (11 am is at the coffee bean sound good?)

Lunch spot? Neptune's Net is a little farther down PCH than the Muholland turn off, and is usually a good road warrior weekend pit stop site. We can also revisit the Rock Store, as it isn't far off the proposed route either. We will also be near other less famous places as we drive through Malibu and through Westlake Village.

·
Registered
659 Posts
As much fun as it would be, and seeing you guys again would be great, we have a vette run to the Peterson Museum on the 10th. We'll have to catch you on the next one. :burnout:

·
19,407 Posts
As it is shaping up...

April 10, 2010 , Saturday, Malibu Drive

Meet time: 10:45-11:00 AM

Final way-point: Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, 3150 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405

Drive route as proposed by LynxFX.

Lunch: to be determined (Neptune's Net?
42505 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265.
I haven't been to this place)

List (feel free to add/edit):

1. SantaMonicaSLK32
2. Bleen
3. Tpman
4. V8SLK
5. LynxFx
6. cyberdrakon (90%)
7. etyu
8. Davids88keys
9. Sweet SLK
10. V6SLK
11. Durkatlon

AMG PL Guest

12. CTCMike (Mike & Pat)

·
19,407 Posts
I'm hoping cyberdrakon's ride will be ready by then.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'm 90% in...so count me for now, and i'll update if i can't make it.

Car's fixed btw, they fixed it very fast actually, they dropped the entire transmission. I'll post up the details sometime, i ALREADY misplaced the dang invoice....

·
Registered
125 Posts
As it is shaping up...

April 10, 2010 , Saturday, Malibu Drive

Meet time: 10:45-11:00 AM

Final way-point: Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, 3150 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405

Drive route as proposed by SantaMonicaSLK32.

Lunch: to be determined (Neptune's Net? I haven't been to this place)

List (feel free to add/edit):

1. SantaMonicaSLK32
2. Bleen
3. Tpman
4. V8SLK
5. LynxFx
6. cyberdrakon (90%)
7. etyu
I am a maybe at this point - I hope to make it - will know as it gets closer

1 - 20 of 82 Posts